Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,711   Online: 753

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Do you really think I'd ever either purchase or process film at the drugstore? That's my whole point.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Do you really think I'd ever either purchase or process film at the drugstore? That's my whole point.
    I used to think this way... then I found out I can have a roll of 120 processed by "Walmart" which sends their film to Dwayn's Photo for processing... so, for $1 yes $1 you can have your film processed by good people, wow makes me almost regret getting rid of some of my C-41 now...

All the time I waste on E-6 chemistry and reading and searching for 6 bath dev's and the time it takes to process a gazillion rolls at once because otherwise it goes bad... I feel like a fool, when I can have it all done by Dwayn's for CHEAP, it's not like B&W where you have to learn the finesse of it, it's all the same, so now I just feel dumb even bothering... it was good to learn, I'll kill the last bit of E-6 I have now and then do the rolls of C-41 I have, then be done with it, I can't believe I've been such a fool haha.

I hope the info I got was not incorrect, I'll be scoping out the big scary walmart people the next few days to find out the truth.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I thought the whole point of Walmart was to sell stale broken Pringles chips and cheat workers out of a
    living wage. We apparently aren't going uphill with this discussion. Aren't there still any pro labs around in your neck of the woods? Where I go they can process everything from 35mm to 8x10 in either
    C41 or E6.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Are there any side by side comparisons of drugstore films?

Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I thought the whole point of Walmart was to sell stale broken Pringles chips and cheat workers out of a
    living wage. We apparently aren't going uphill with this discussion. Aren't there still any pro labs around in your neck of the woods? Where I go they can process everything from 35mm to 8x10 in either
    C41 or E6.
    "Pro" labs charge too much that's the problem, for $1 at Walmart it would cost me $8 at the pro lab.

Also to the above posters point, the photo area is a loss leader, it gets people into the store and then they shop for Pringles since they are already in the store anyway.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't use a pro lab now, they'll be gone later. What will you do when you want a custom print made?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    If you don't use a pro lab now, they'll be gone later. What will you do when you want a custom print made?
    Send that to Dwayne's too haha, they do that under another name ... Forget, something with an M... MiriumPro or mpix or something like that...

Honestly that's the same stupid mentality that someone would use for Kodak "spend twice as much buying Kodak film or Kodak will go under" yea no kidding but if they don't run their business correctly that's not my fault and I don't have the money to support a business that can't handle competition. Survival of the fittest...

Sorry if that's cruel but it's honest at least.

I did say that Walmart uses the photo area as a loss leader but obviously even with shipping costs FUJI can still make a marginal profit on send out service or the price would go up or they wouldn't do it. So local labs should be able to charge CLOSE TO the same price, but they charge 3-4 times that (in my area) so I'm not supporting that. I won't buy film from them either, their film is twice the B&H price and I can't get everything I want from them anyway and almost no chemistry so I end up ordering it all from B&H.

If in could get what I want at a reasonable price I would shop locally. But the price difference is astronomical as I won't support it.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I will say IF I WERE RICH I would support the local store, but I'm not. They are doing just fine that's the irony, they switched to digital a long time ago and make a ton off digital sales, they will probably close the film lab soon, but the printing will continue.

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Honestly that's the same stupid mentality...
    I'll let that slide, for now...

The reason I use my pro lab is customer service. When I order custom prints, I get to go in, see them, make changes, etc. before the final prints are done. Does Walmart do that for you?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I'll let that slide, for now...

The reason I use my pro lab is customer service. When I order custom prints, I get to go in, see them, make changes, etc. before the final prints are done. Does Walmart do that for you?
    Lol, sorry yes thanks for letting it slide that was harsh.

Anyway no and I don't make prints at Walmart but I don't use my local lab either as they have absolutely no consistency and the color cast is always off it's often over blue or yellow with no consistency and so my B&W images often are brown or sepia looking or sometimes B&W but they are all supposedly B&W images.

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need a new lab. No pro lab should be giving you the results you're getting.
    A good pro lab will let you speak to the techs so they know exactly what you want. If the print is unsatisfactory they'll redo it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin