Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,747   Posts: 1,483,770   Online: 778

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Are there any side by side comparisons of drugstore films?

Similar to the very thorough tests done on this page:
    http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/06...mparison-pt-3/

Except with the inclusion of cheap films like Gold and Superia.

Shooter
    35mm
    Probably difficult to do a meaningful test. Drugstore and own brand films are/were made by the big manufacturers, and the drugstores sometimes changed manufacturer from time to time with no obvious indication on the actual product.

SFAIK all the own brand films which I've seen recently in the UK say "Made in Japan", which is obviously Fuji. No idea if they are just a repack of a current Fuji film, or an older version, but, logically, Fuji would not set up a separate coating run for a relatively small order. And I'm sure that hey would never deliberately produce an inferior or substandard product even under an own brand name.

(I'm not sure that Gold and Superia would count as "cheap" films....I'd say they were the "standard" consumer films. Color Plus and C200 would be the discount store ones, but even these are fine for everyday use with good processing and printing.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I suppose you are a lomo shooter. The best place too look is that famous lomography site, the review all kinds of film, not in a meaningful reproducible way beyond "pretty" colors. If you want great films use ektar/reala/portra etc.
    "The Medium is the Message"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by afrank View Post
    I suppose you are a lomo shooter. The best place too look is that famous lomography site, the review all kinds of film, not in a meaningful reproducible way beyond "pretty" colors. If you want great films use ektar/reala/portra etc.
    That was kind of harsh dude. And in no way helpful to the OP...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Minoltian View Post

Why are you looking for this info? Are you relatively new to film shooting?

I only ask because drug store film prices are often HIGHER than high quality film prices if you buy online. So wondering why you are looking at the drug store prices at all.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I have been notified that European film at drugstores is WAY cheaper than it is here in the USA so my statement is only for my part of the world... Sorry for my ignorance...

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hehe, i was just about to comment on that. Germany has films for 0.70 €. Thats less than a dollar.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quality-wise, drugstore films are all the 'same', as far as you would be able to tell simply by looking at prints. Remember, there is an Achilles' heel here with the transformation of the negative into a positive print: much can be lost or modified with this step.

They might have slightly different hue relationships or require slightly different darkroom filtration but, rest assured, they are all high quality. Maybe they won't have the 'punch' of Ektar/Reala/Portra but sometimes you do not want that extra saturation. Besides, a bit of extra color development and/or exposure can work wonders. In fact, all color negative film should be rated at half the box speed. Color film is more flexible than manufacturers would want you to believe. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 02-06-2013 at 08:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

hi

i don't really have a very good recommendation for you.
    you might be able to do some comparing on your own by
    going to flickr and searching the key words of the films you
    wanted to compare. people sometimes put the film name + type + iso
    as part of the description, you might be able to do a search here as well
    the same way ...

i've never come across any sort of formal comparison between the cheap films
    other than random commentary like "cheap kodak films have a neutral pallet, fuji films are more green "

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I have been notified that European film at drugstores is WAY cheaper than it is here in the USA so my statement is only for my part of the world... Sorry for my ignorance...
    The guy mentioned he was inquiring about Kodak Gold. Kodak Gold 100 is $2.25 at Adorama in New York. Portra 160 is $6.99.

What you linked to is the only extensive side by side film comparison I've ever seen on the internet of any kind. It is kind of odd. As much discussion that goes on about this emulsion vs that emulsion you would think someone would sit down every so often and do a definitive comparison. I see comparisons between one or two films all the time. But a big monster comparison seems pretty rare. I personally wanted some kind of monster comparison for B&W like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin