Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,067   Online: 970

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How hard to mount 6 x 4.5 cm slides?

I am piling up a bunch of slide film these days. The labs have returned the transparencies to me cut only enough to get into negative holders. In other words the slides are unmounted. I am thinking about one day getting a projector and viewing these slides properly. How difficult is it to do this? It looks sort of thin between images and I'm not sure one cuts the film accurately. Is it easy? What about mounting them in slide holders.

I need to learn about this so that I can decide what to do with these transparencies.

Thank you for your help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mounting them is probably easier than finding the mounts or a projector to put them in

That is, projectors that can take 6x6 slides were never common, and are less so now, and mounts may not be available either.

There are (were) two kinds of mounts the "Gepe" style plastic mounts and cardboard that had heat seal adhesive pre applied. For the Gepe you either slide the film through a slot of the assembled mount, or there were also two-part mounts where you position the slide then snap the other half in place.
    For the cardboard mounts you would place the slide, fold the mount over then melt the adhesive with a clothes iron or a dry mount tacking iron.
    Either way, as you understand, it's a matter of carefully trimming the film to fit, how easy that is depends on your skill. Dedicated cutters exist (existed).

Sad to say but the best way to deal with them is probably by scanning, but they do look nice projected onto a proper screen.

A possible more viable alternative is to use the "Super slide" format which is more or less 4.5 cm square. These fit in the same projectors that can project 35 mm slides. They take more trimming, and you may want to use a mask in your camea for composing, but you have more choices for the projectors. Not sure if the mounts are available though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow....only one reply. I guess slide film is truly dead.

Thank you for your reply. While you present some options that seem possible, I dont want to go too far down a route that is such a dead end. I guess I'll have to stick to b & w film.

Thank you again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not quite dead. I get my mounts from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...de_Mounts.html . I don't have a projector, but I do use a viewer. Mine is old but works like a charm. Post something in the classifieds if you are looking for something.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not dead, just that there are a lot of copies of your question already in APUG so people are not in a hurry to answer it. Plenty of 6x6 projectors are available cheap second hand and several companies still make them new. Gepe and Wess still both make slide mounts that you can buy from B&H and even directly from the manufacturer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I am just not clear on how hard it is to mount transparency film into slides. I have 30-40 rolls of film that need mounting and growing weekly. Is this something that will take me months to do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No. You just need some sharp sizors and an xacto knife.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    That is, projectors that can take 6x6 slides were never common, and are less so now, and mounts may not be available either.
    I assume that is/was very dependant on part of the world one looks at.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This film cutter is very handy: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-MULTIPLE-...item2a1c1b0723

I bought mine from another eBay vendor. It makes the cutting of all negatives and slides much easier.

Here is a link to the Gepe website - in particular the hand mounting press that definitely adds convenience when you are using Gepe mounts. You don't need the press, but ...http://www.gepe.com/website/index.as...showProdID=136

In some markets, there are lots of used medium format projectors available. In others, probably not.

They are quite large and heavy.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    This film cutter is very handy: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-MULTIPLE-...item2a1c1b0723

I bought mine from another eBay vendor. It makes the cutting of all negatives and slides much easier.

Here is a link to the Gepe website - in particular the hand mounting press that definitely adds convenience when you are using Gepe mounts. You don't need the press, but ...http://www.gepe.com/website/index.as...showProdID=136

In some markets, there are lots of used medium format projectors available. In others, probably not.

They are quite large and heavy.
    Yes that hand Gepe mounting press really helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	63827

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin