Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,014   Online: 892

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ok, very good results!

That said, some critical comments.

1. CD2 is NOT good for C41 films. Image stability will be an issue.
    What would be the nature of instability? Fading over time?

How would a change from CD2 to CD4 change this formula? Just one for one substitution? (And Dan, why did you use CD2 instead of CD4?)

2. The time and temp are not too critical as this 2 bath process is self limiting. As long as you get good imbibition of chemistry there should be no problem with development except for crossover, grain and sharpness. Color would probably be ok for the most part.

PE
    The only problems will be crossover, grain and sharpness? Meaning, almost everything that's important?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Atm, my CD-4 source is Flexicolor part C, I've worked out that 2x the normal amount per litre of regular C-41 developer is a good starting point for Bath A. I would prefer to get my hands on the dry salt before moving onto CD-4 testing though!

I'll get to that... eventually

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    What would be the nature of instability? Fading over time?

How would a change from CD2 to CD4 change this formula? Just one for one substitution? (And Dan, why did you use CD2 instead of CD4?)
    Substitute Dignan's NCF-41 Bath A for my Bath A.

I used CD-2, because that's the dry CD salt I have. I was originally playing with CD-2 split bath to develop Vision Print ECP-2 film, I wanted pictorially good results from it because it has grain and sharpness of a ridiculous level and would make a good 35mm landscape film if I could get 'normal' results out of it. ECP-2 film is stable with CD-2, as the ECP-2 developer is CD-2 based.

So now I'm using it, because it's what I have. I want to play with the other controls (The other ingredients besides the CD agent) in Bath A and B in the mean time until I get dry CD-4.

Here is EI 6400 (the only sample) from this roll, I suspect it'd be worse in scenes you typically would reach for such high speed (dim with high contrast lighting/deep shadow and way-off daylight light sources)
    Last edited by Athiril; 02-21-2013 at 10:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1. CD4 was designed to work with the couplers and there is a big difference between CD2 and CD4 from a chemistry POV. One is far more polar than the other. So, you get different hue and stability. I did not mention hue before because stability is far the greater problem.

2. Yes, everything is a potential problem. But, curve shape may be perfect. Got that?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIRC, the current ECN and ECP is based on CD3.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The documentation I have says CD-2 for ECP-2
    http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...09a%281%29.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The instructions for ECN-2, which are the most recent, use CD3.

See attached. Look on page 28.

PE
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For ECN-2 film, but the print film is ECP-2D process.

IE: This is the film I was trying to use it for - http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Produ...ition/2383.htm

Though mine is a special order version with remjet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan, are you sure? The current ECN and ECP go through the same process. The previous films went through 2 processes, but they were able to vastly improve the stability of the print film by using CD3. In fact, the new archival film is even better.

At least, that is the information given me by some west coast processors.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm just going off the data sheets from Kodak. The film I have is regular Vision Print Film (but SO with remjet added) which is specified as ECP-2D process in their current documentation.

I can't find any mention of running ECP-2 film through ECN-2. So that just sounds kind of suspicious, as I would think it'd be at least in the current documentation, if it were an official thing.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin