Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,390   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Water/drying marks on self-processed Portra 400

I've recently tried my hand at processing C-41 at home. Using the Rollei Digibase C41 kit, I've had some minor success. The problem is that the negatives (Portra) have water marks down the length of the film. Here is the process I'm using:

1. Pre-wash 1:00 (Recommended by the Digibase kit)
    2. Developer 3:15
    3. Wash 2:00
    4. Bleach 4:30
    5. Wash 2:00
    6. Fix 6:30
    7. Wash 2:00
    8. Stabilizer 1:00

One mistake I may have made is I didn't use Distilled water for the Stabilizer. One roll I used my fingers as a squeegee before hanging and the next I didn't. Same result. Here's an example:

Any advice on preventing drying marks would be appreciated. In the meantime, is it feasible to simply re-wash the negatives in distilled water and re-dry?
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good to see you're enjoying your F6

I don't squeegee at all. Try putting some photo-flo in your stabilizer, it should help.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jack;

They sure are hard to see on my monitor, but I can say that normally you do not need to use DW to mix the Stabilizer or the Final Rinse (which ever you use). If these are indeed drying marks, I suggest that you get a very soft sponge at the supermarket, and wet it in the stabilizer. Then, when the film is done with the stabilizer, you gently wipe the film down with the sponge to remove concentrations of the solution and leave the film reasonably "dry".

You may be able to save these by redoing a water wash, then Stab. Then use the sponge method. Sometimes though, the damage is done.

PE

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ditch the stabilizer. Buy Kodak Final Rinse -- $10 for enough concentrate to make 10 liters. Concentrate lasts indefinitely.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I found the Rollei stabilizer did this as well. The Kodak Final Rinse is really cheap and readily available. That solved my problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last step in E6 or C41 must never be Photo Flo alone!

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It sounds as if Kodak Final Rinse is worth a shot. I've not used Photo-flo with color processing as I'd been warned elsewhere against it.

I'm going to try giving the spotted negatives a bath and dry, then order Final Rinse for next time. Thanks!
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kodak and Fuji final rinse solutions are both mixtures of what amounts to Photo Flo 200 and a preservative. This preservative is essential in order to prevent deterioration of the negatives.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jack,
    Nice Shepard. I miss mine.
    Related to Charlie the guitarist?

At the final rinse is when I use distilled or Brita filtered water and get away with regular city tap water for washing up to that point.

Shooter
    35mm
    The first thing I noticed was your wash times are a lot shorter than the ones I give. The intermediate steps in my experience should never be less than 3 minutes (except the one between the developer and bleach and the final one. 6 minutes before putting it in the stabiliser.

I live in a moderately 'hard' water area. i.e. it has a high lime content and this will leave drying marks unless you are meticulously clean. Try extending the washing/rinsing times and then get back to say what you find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin