Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,003   Online: 882

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Old film processing

Hi,

After many years of b&w processing, I've had my first go at colour. I discovered a quantity of 35mm & 120 Kodacolor films that I had exposed during the 70's stored in a wardrobe! I purchased a Tetenal C41 kit and developed 2 films using my Jobo CPE2 & lift.

After following the process instructions to the letter, both films were blank. The leader was fogged as usual, but even the Kodak name & frame number were missing. One film showed very light signs of margins between frames, and partial images although very faint.

I have another 8 rolls remaining, but don't want to risk having the same results without some expert advice. Do I need to increase development times etc or due to the age of the film, am I wasting time and chemicals?

I know I have some sentimental images on the films, so would really like to recover something from them if possible.

I've just processed 2 rolls of recently exposed films, and they're perfect. So proving there's nothing wrong with chemicals, equipment or me!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards, Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are the chemicals correct for the type of film you are processing? Were color negative films of the 1970s actually supposed to be processed in C-41 chemistry? Should say on the film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    If I remember right, kodacolor2 was c-41, so kodacolor would be c-22.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old film processing

After some research I have found that C-41 chemistry appears to destroy emulsions intended for C-22 process.
    There are those who process it as a service (expensive). Your best bet is probably to process the film as a b&w film and scan your negs.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If something with the exposure was wrong, there would not be the rebate-signing missing.

If the processing was totally off there would not be a developed leader.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Old film processing

I had an issue like yours, look for a guy on here talking about CN17 Agfa processing in C-41, he discovered that he could process older emulsions like CN17 and C-22 in C-41 by NOT heating the developer and keeping it at room temperature and then developing for a longer timeframe (but I can't recall the procedure off hand). The images he got were beautiful. It's the HEAT that destroys older emulsions that weren't designed for such temperatures.

Good luck and please post results.

If you have money $ there are labs that specialize in this but you'll pay upwards of $40 per roll! Haha

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is some discussion in here regarding C-22 in C-41, but Stone covered it in a nutshell. It's a timely discussion for me too, I unboxed an old Kodak folder of mine a few days ago and found that it still had film, C-22 Kodacolor-X in my case. But I'll probably just process it as B&W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I believe there are ways to process it in room temp C-41 for around 20 minutes. You'll never be able to print them optically, but you can correct the colors in a scan, and have usable images.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Old film processing

Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I believe there are ways to process it in room temp C-41 for around 20 minutes. You'll never be able to print them optically, but you can correct the colors in a scan, and have usable images.
    Why couldn't you print it optically?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why has the leader been developed and the rest of the film not?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin