Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,968   Online: 884

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Do you store stabilizer in the fridge?

Do you store Stabilizer in the fridge? I've been doing it just like my developer, fixer but I'm not sure if it's does anything good.

Thanks,

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stabilizer contains a wetting agent and a preservative. No need for special storage.
    The same for fixer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you know there's formaldehyde in stabilizer?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not any longer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Not any longer.
    Hi AgX, I am not sure if you are only speaking for your country's chemistry requirements, but Kodak Flexicolor III is still available in the US and the MSDS lists formaldehyde:

http://www.chemcas.com/msds112/cas/4..._9014-90-8.asp

To the OP, please, please consider the affect of possibly putting a known carcinogen near your food.

Flexicolor still avail:
    http://www.uniquephoto.com/film%2Dca...lons%2D1965482
    Last edited by zsas; 02-11-2013 at 08:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fix link to correct MSDS - Cat 196-5482
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    final rinse and stab are different.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^I am not sure what you mean? The final rinse in Kodak C41 is the stabilizer (some use Flexicolor III). If our OP want to put a possibly gene altering carcinogen near his food, I can't sit idly by and not inform him/her what I know to be true.
    Andy

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When Kodak left out Formaldehyde from the final bath concentrate, they changed the name from Stabilizer to Final Rinse, which does not follow logic as colour film still needs stabilisation (in form of other bacteriocides).
    But they still offerd classic Stabilizer III as an alternative product for use with older film types.

Stabilizer III is not longer listed at their website (whatever that means).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    That might be true, but I bought the below from Unique Photo a few months ago....maybe I am one of the last Americans with Stab III in his home, but I would never ever, ever consider having this leave my locked darkroom to endanger friends/family (the thought of my blind grandma or kids getting confused is enough to make me implore the OP to consider the risk)....

Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is never a good idea to store any chemicals in a frig that is used for food.

There is also another problem that the lower temperature can cause some chemicals to come out of solution and be very difficult to redissolve.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin