Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,640   Online: 773

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    +1 Kevs

Shooter
    35mm
    What if Polaroid or Portra have color schemes that people like? Is it "fake" now to shoot digitally and then edit your photos to make them look better? This whole thread is stupid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    What if Polaroid or Portra have color schemes that people like? Is it "fake" now to shoot digitally and then edit your photos to make them look better? This whole thread is stupid.
    I think colour balance is one thing, but to set out to make a digital shot look like film is by definition inauthentic. If that's what a person likes, then fine, no problem, but I like the idea of authenticity. For example, I really enjoy Lagavulin whisky, it's 16 years old, matured in barrels. Sure, you could probably create chemicals compounds in a lab to create the same taste, but it would be inauthentic. Sometimes there is a pleasure in doing things in the genuine manner, even if it's not a necessarily logical choice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would like my digital shots to match my Portra shots in colour, but to do that. I need to shoot a colour chart on Portra, and make a profile for it. Profile the digital camera to get it to neutral. Then take that neutral profile and subtract the Portra profile from it, a lot of work!

Then that doesn't account for the masking effects, I'd rather just shoot Portra.

I wouldn't say inauthentic, I like the colour scheme of Portra, I wouldn't try to make it look like Portra for the sake of it, but for the sake of making it look like what I really really like.

And of course, I may want my work to match across cameras/mediums, I dont want to profile both and neutralise both, I want to stick to the Portra look. So I'd have to match everything else to that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    I think colour balance is one thing, but to set out to make a digital shot look like film is by definition inauthentic. If that's what a person likes, then fine, no problem, but I like the idea of authenticity. For example, I really enjoy Lagavulin whisky, it's 16 years old, matured in barrels. Sure, you could probably create chemicals compounds in a lab to create the same taste, but it would be inauthentic. Sometimes there is a pleasure in doing things in the genuine manner, even if it's not a necessarily logical choice.
    I do agree with Athiril. But I don't understand where inauthenticity comes in. It might come in, I really just don't understand. Isn't the very nature of digital imitation? Everything is 1s and 0s, right, and we write programs to dictate what that turns into. The normal output from digital cameras isn't "authentic digital", its just what we wrote the program to do. So why not change factors later to look like what you want it to look like? And if you like a filmy look, that makes sense. We've been perfecting it for a while.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I would like my digital shots to match my Portra shots in colour, but to do that. I need to shoot a colour chart on Portra, and make a profile for it. Profile the digital camera to get it to neutral. Then take that neutral profile and subtract the Portra profile from it, a lot of work!

Then that doesn't account for the masking effects, I'd rather just shoot Portra.

I wouldn't say inauthentic, I like the colour scheme of Portra, I wouldn't try to make it look like Portra for the sake of it, but for the sake of making it look like what I really really like.

And of course, I may want my work to match across cameras/mediums, I dont want to profile both and neutralise both, I want to stick to the Portra look. So I'd have to match everything else to that.
    do you actually know how to do this? if so can you PM me some info? I have all the tools (scanner,lightroom,photoshop) that I should need but have no idea how to do that but would like to, I've created some slide film coloring techniques (by altering the time/temp of the color developer) to get some different color tones from chrome, and I would like to have the OPTION of knowing how to mimic that since E-6 is so expensive... (in comparison to Rodinal haha). Thanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've had a lot of time to think about this lately, between taking a photoshop class to catch up to the rest of the digital photographers today (who I'm loosing clients too because I can't do retouches like them that the clients demand) and I recently also saw this image...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot photoshop blasphemy.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	64618

I was asked what I thought of it, I was horrified... there should be some kind of new term for extremely modified digital art that isn't called a "photograph" because that's not a photo that's a digital rendering at that point...

Anyway I've come to the conclusion that for me, doing things like dodging and burning and color adjustments can all be done in the darkroom, even some basic layering could be done by masters, but something like this is just not ok... but it's the way the world works, people change, technology changes... but I think, for me, knowing how to adjust color tone and doge and burn some areas is about all I'll accept from myself and I think that's ok.

So as my previous post stated, I think it's OK to adjust color tones to match a film type. I especially think it's ok if that film is no longer available.

Anyway that's my take...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any filter that reduces nipplage I'm against!
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Any filter that reduces nipplage I'm against!
    Hear, hear.

IDK call me cynical but alot of those VSCO examples look like *hit, are they "emulating" spent developer or purposely underdeveloped film?
    Who "designs" these looks and I wonder how much film experience they actually have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hope they're won't be a nipple filter. Nothing worst than silicon silicone. Now that looks like *hit.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin