Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,564   Online: 775

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    One thing to note: Aperture 3 is one of the worst tools you can be using to do these adjustments, because it does not have a simple Invert control. Instead, you have to invert using the Levels tool, when ends up reversing every other control you will be using. It absolutely sucks. Photoshop is really the best tool I've found when trying to work with adjusting color negatives, then once you've got the inversion done, you can use Aperture for the rest of your work. (I know, Photoshop is an expensive tool... maybe you can get away with using GIMP, but it has been a while since I've looked at it.) On the Mac, you might be tempted to try Pixelmator, since it is much cheaper than Photoshop and seems to be powerful. Don't. It doesn't have individual channel levels, and it only does 8 bits per channel. Worthless for this.
    Yeah…it's a little dumb how there's no "invert" tool in Aperture 3, but oh well. Up until now, I gotten around Aperture 3's limitation here by using Hasselblad's Flexcolor scanning software. I don't adjust levels, add sharpening, add curves, remove casts; I turn all of the correction tools off. Then I set the film type to "color negative," and it does the inversion step. I'm not sure if it does anything else.

I hope it doesn't, because I'm pretty close to doing it the way you're suggesting to do it. I have a copy of Photoshop (and if I didn't, my university has site licenses that I'm probably entitled to as a staff member/student) and I'm not afraid to use it. After all, it shouldn't be too difficult to just make an action to invert and (maybe) remove the orange cast…then I can use that action to bulk edit. Eh. I might as well. Once thing are set up, it's just a few clicks worth of extra work. I'll try it out on my next few batches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try FastStone Image viewer - it is available on the internet for free (donation requested), it has an inversion ("Negative") function, an excellent resizing tool, a very functional clone and heal function and lots more - and it is quick!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programme .

EDIT: oops - just realized you are on a Mac
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin