Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,233   Online: 1121

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Double Exposed film by mistake

Hello Everyone,

I accidentally double exposed a roll of film. I thought it was unused but it wasn't. Is there any way to print so that only one of the images comes out? The first exposure of the film is strongest. It really sucks because the second time had some really nice landscape photos.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're pretty well stuck with what you've got.

However, one of the things people do for fun is to double expose a roll of film on purpose.

For example, the first time through, you take shots of things like windows, street lights and brick walls. Things that have interesting patterns and designs in them. Next, rewind and expose again. This time take "normal" pictures of people and things. Then, when you develop the roll you'll overlay or juxtapose the second exposures on the first.

The thing is, you never know what you're going to get. You might end up with a picture that looks like a person standing in front of a street light or a dog looking out of a window. You might get some funny, interesting or surreal shots. You might end up with junk. It's mostly random chance.

Here's one I did, years ago:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fish-Head-double-exp.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	64696

I say to go ahead and proof that roll of film to see what you got. You might luck out and get a good one.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    I actually do have the prints for that roll of film (that's how I found out about the double exposure). Though my roll didn't come out like yours. You can only tell in a few pictures what happened and then in those the second exposure is so light compare to the first exposure. I'll try to upload a sample one if i can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't know what your pictures are like but, if the second exposure is light enough, you might be able to make quasi-normal prints by dodging or some other way but it's a long shot. What's on the film is what's on the film and you can't undo it. The best thing you can do now is just roll with what you've got.

Remember, that "Fish Head" picture is one picture out of a whole 36-exp. roll. It's the only one that came out even half decent. Even then, I wouldn't call it great. It's only worth a chuckle.

I have done double exposures that are more interesting but those were carefully set up shots:
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ya, that can be annoying, but there may be happy accidents that take the sting away. A few years ago, my daughter's N80 jammed on vacation in Chicago. I manually rewound the film in a changing bag, leaving the leader, but made the mistake of throwing the roll in my camera bag. A month later, on vacation in Arizona, I accidentally loaded the film into my N80, resulting in about a half-dozen serendipitous shots like this:

Name:	chicago-arizona-double-expo.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	64801

We had often shared darkroom time, but this is the first and only time we have shared photo credit for the same roll of film.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was quite happy with this accidental multi-exposure. My biker colleague loved it so much i printed it out for him as his portrait pic. I looks great (we think)

Name:	7965367320_b3e05c89a0.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	64802

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Ya, that can be annoying, but there may be happy accidents that take the sting away. A few years ago, my daughter's N80 jammed on vacation in Chicago. I manually rewound the film in a changing bag, leaving the leader, but made the mistake of throwing the roll in my camera bag. A month later, on vacation in Arizona, I accidentally loaded the film into my N80, resulting in about a half-dozen serendipitous shots like this:

We had often shared darkroom time, but this is the first and only time we have shared photo credit for the same roll of film.

Cheers,
    Tom

That is pretty cool. Looks like a reflection in a window.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I was quite happy with this accidental multi-exposure. My biker colleague loved it so much i printed it out for him as his portrait pic. I looks great (we think)

Name:	7965367320_b3e05c89a0.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	64802

Looks like something out of Mad MAx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am really confused as to how one accidently MX a film. Dont you rewind the tongue?
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    I accidentally loaded the film into my N80, resulting in about a half-dozen serendipitous shots like this:

So, I guess that's what you call an "Urban Canyon." Right?
    Randy S.

-----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin