Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,035   Online: 882

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    most negative scans will look like grain hell.
    I totally agree with this. Certain films scan very well, including Portra 160 and Ektar; I'm not sure about Portra 400. But I have had a lot of problems with "grain aliasing" on many other film stocks. I've all but given up on scanning negatives. My preferred route going forward is to make a contact sheet of a film to see what is worth enlarging; then print the worthwhile pics, and scan the prints if I need to share the images digitally.

I think it's all part of a secret plot to make people think that film is inferior to digital, when the truth is, I believe, the opposite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Porta scans well.

"Grain aliasing" comes from the silver which is on black & white film only, not color.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Grain aliasing is a function of an electronic sensor receiving information on image detail above the level that it can interpret properly; the result is the functional equivalent of a moire pattern, or a lower level (coarser) depiction of what cannot be processed properly. It's not black and white specific and applies equally to the grain pattern of color films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    Grain aliasing is a function of an electronic sensor receiving information on image detail above the level that it can interpret properly; the result is the functional equivalent of a moire pattern, or a lower level (coarser) depiction of what cannot be processed properly. It's not black and white specific and applies equally to the grain pattern of color films.
    Perhaps you want to call it "dye cloud" aliasing when referring to color neg film, since all the silver grain is gone. I think that's what Sirius Glass was alluding to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I fully acknowledge that this discussion has gone way off topic for APUG by now, but since it concerns the viability of negative film as a photographic medium I would like to add some more: grain aliasing can only happen with a scanner that has a sharp lens and a low res sensor. With my V700 the opposite is the case and scanned negative film still looks grainy, while equally sharp slide film does not. The big difference between negs and slides is that different contrast ranges are mapped into RGB color space, and if you expand the small contrast of negative film (like RA4 paper does) you get an extra dose of punishment from scanner sensor noise.

The difference between an optical RA4 print and a negative scan is profound, but I still make negative scans to serve as contact sheets. One can get moderately sharp 4x6" prints from simple 35mm negative film scans and knows that much bigger enlargements are possible for those few winning shots that are worth the optical RA4 effort. Reminds me of the Ansel Adams quote: the negative is the score, the print the performance.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Indeed the thread is going farther then I hope for and all the info is really welcomed (while quite a bit over my head too).

I was looking some time ago at some darkroom color paper and I was really curious how those compare to scan + inkjet printing ?

I guess the difference in look between an inkjet print and wet print should be rather subtle ? or can it be some convenience over quality and learning curve/space required ?

I generally don't mind grain but in that case I was a bit dissapointed by the scan but I know now what I can try to make it better.

I really enjoy every replies ;-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LucRoMar View Post
    I was looking some time ago at some darkroom color paper and I was really curious how those compare to scan + inkjet printing ?

I guess the difference in look between an inkjet print and wet print should be rather subtle ? or can it be some convenience over quality and learning curve/space required ?
    Your pics will look better on inkjet paper than they look on your monitor, but they will look much better when wet processed. It's the scanning which hurts most.

Shooter
    35mm
    so this would indeed be convenience over quality, as another thread in the ethics is mentioning ;-)

In B/W I guess a good FB print must be stunning, I can't wait to try but the learing curve is frigthening.

Regarding Portra isn't it designed to be scanned and not optically enlarged ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Regarding Portra isn't it designed to be scanned and not optically enlarged ?
    You saw the results.

Seriously, nobody would bother with this film if that was the best it could do ....

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If quality is what you are after, optical printing of color negatives, done right, is by far the superior way.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin