Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,530   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Portra 400 exposed at box speed

Good evening,

First time post for me.

I just received scan from my current lab (portra 400 exposed @400)
    Exposure was center weighted in Tv. Did I underexpose them or could it be bad processing ?
    I find them globaly poor, are my expectation too high for 35mm ???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0034.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	607.5 KB 
ID:	64771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0039.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	422.2 KB 
ID:	64772

Regards,

Luc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first one is great and the problems with the second have nothing to do with 35mm. Anyway, it will be interesting to read the comments from the knowledgeable, which ain't me. I'll just shut up and sit in the corner.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    Can you tell us what it is about these two that disappoint? The colour rendition look OK in both. In the second the whole face doesn't look to be in focus and the light is different but as pbromaghin has said this doesn't look like a 35mm or processing issue.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Aside from the scratches, these look good to me. The second one is maybe just a little under exposed. I tend to shoot Portra 400, Fuji 400H or Ilford XP2 all at ASA 200. So basically, every shot is over exposed by one stop. With C41 negative, a 1 stop over exposure is nothing, but a 1 stop under exposure you may notice. Err on the side of over exposure, and you won't go far wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't really know, I find the first one a tiny bit grainy, color wise I find them very good (I love how film renders color)
    maybe te following photo is a better exemple :

Name:	0028.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	516.0 KB 
ID:	64775

In this one I find the skintone to not be very uniform but appart from that the colors are nice.

at the moment I'm discovering everything and trying to find a good lab too, maybe I'm dissapointed when the lab tell me those scan are good for 8"x10" print with scans that make 1200x1800pxl ;-)

Tanks for you replies.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I'll try to overexpose them by 1 stop too next time. Indoor is tricky at this time of year too for film... maybe Portra 800 @400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The backlit shots are struggling a bit. In particular, the last example does show a lot of grain or noise when enlarged.

I wonder though whether that might be more to do with scanning than the film itself. Backlighting can tend to fool the automatic scanners.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LucRoMar View Post
    Good evening,

First time post for me.

I just received scan from my current lab (portra 400 exposed @400)
    Exposure was center weighted in Tv. Did I underexpose them or could it be bad processing ?
    I find them globaly poor, are my expectation too high for 35mm ???

Name:	0034.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	607.5 KB 
ID:	64771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0039.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	422.2 KB 
ID:	64772

Regards,

Luc
    What do you think is wrong with them ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I think as Matt says maybe it is an automated scan from the lab that is not as "smooth" as I expected.

mmm, I will have to negociated with my OH to invest in a scanner or find a good scanning service here in europe ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Luc,
    They are under exposed. Probably by one stop or more. I only set my camera for box speed when its a cloudy day. Normally I shoot Portra 400 at 200 ISO.

Hope that helps,
    D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin