Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,353   Online: 772

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    More than that. Here in little old Adelaide, I personally know at least three people (probably five) that easily meet your threshold and I reckon there would be no less than ten... in a population of about 1.2 million. Say the western world has 2bn population, that implies there are probably 15,000-20,000 people with a modest stockpile. And there are probably as many again in China and India (don't forget there's no shortage of affluent people there despite the hordes of peasants).

"2 per US state" is a hilarious estimate when there would be a few hundred in each of CA and NY alone. Think how much business Freestyle and B&H do.
    Last edited by polyglot; 03-01-2013 at 03:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Apart from anything else, having saved up and spent a lot of cash (to me, at least!) on analogue gear over the years, I have no wish to have to spend to re-equip myself with equivalent digital gear!
    There is no equivalent digital gear!

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format

(did you expect a serious answer?)
    testing...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Most people aren't really interested in talking about how much film they have in their freezer.

Perhaps a case of being afraid of being found out by the "other half"...

I don't qualify as a serious stockpiler, but I've got enough in the freeezer to last a couple of years at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why would ANYONE stockpile film now? Except for films that are seriously threatened, everything is easily available, no? One could order thousands of dollars worth of Kodak film today and fill multiple freezers. Why stock pile and pay for it and the cooling costs now?

Films dont disappear overnight do they?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think Ratty has a point. I understand stocking up if it looks like it's about to go out of production..makes perfect sence. Since, at this time, there is so indication the films that I use (tmax, iLford, etc) will be going out of production any time soon I don't bother. However, I can see stocking up if they were going to be discontinued with no equivilent. Perhaps I haven't been in this long enough to have an attachment to any particular film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i havent stockpiled in a long time.
    back in 2001-2 +/- a year
    i bought 2000 sheets of 4x5 film,
    and 2000 sheets of 5x7 film
    and i have nearly used them all up.
    once in a while when i see a good deal
    i "binge" but i wouldn't say i stock pile
    the 4x5 sheets were 65¢ each
    the 5x7 sheets were 1¢ each
    the rolls have been more expensive.
    i don't bother with a freezer, shelf stored
    in a room whose temp is about 68º seems OK
    even for 400+800 iso for me at least
    and if its a little foggy i don't really care ...
    ihave a bunch of paper too, and i like aged paper
    for paper negatives, and eventually for lith printing
    when i get around to it ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a bit of a stash in the freezer, but my biggest problem is using it up. I have a tendency to take a few rolls out when I'm going to go shoot and then not use it all, and not put it back. Then six months later I look in the bag and have 5 rolls of 35mm and 7 rolls of 120 that have been out of the freezer for who knows how long and I relegate it to Holga use 'cause it might be starting to go downhill.
    But I do keep a certain amount in the freezer because I can hide things like Tagalongs or mini Ben and Jerry's under it.
    It is nice to be the one in control of the freezer.

No idea why, but I buy clothes on sale whenever possible, but I don't look for sales on film or paper. Saving a few cents per roll doesn't get me the way saving $ on some shoes does.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Two stockpilers per US state? Then I must own eastern Tennessee! I have two 7 cu ft freezers full, and more in a refrigerator. I'll probably be getting a third freezer for paper. Or maybe paper does better in a fridge

Why stockpile? Well if nothing else, the return on investment probably beats the stock market. Go back and look at film prices from say two years ago and you may be shocked.

Anyone starting to stockpile chemicals?

Shooter
    35mm
    I am also guilty as charged, while I don't go out and buy 1000 rolls of something, I do tend to get 100-200 rolls and store them in my mini-fridge. Right now I am purchasing the Lucky 200 film since its out of production, and it's a great film for testing different techniques as I continue to learn how to use my camera effectively (yes, after 2 years I am still learning...), the stuff is insanely cheap. My budget is very tight being a part time student, getting paid a paltry wage where I work, and having to support my 4 cats to a lifestyle of leisure. So I buy a brick or 2 at a time when my check comes in.

I have a stash of 30 rolls of Provia/velvia/elite chrome/ in the freezer portion of my mini fridge. I recently bought a large (for me) stock of Efke film, thanks to a very kind member here on the board.

You could say I am one of those private hoarders.

As for chemicals, I'm still new enough at developing that it's hard for me to justify that. There always seems to be an equivalent of the stuff I use, so I'm not worried about that.

for the record, I have 100 sheets of Mitsubishi black and white printing paper that I bought a couple years ago sitting in my basement (~65F), if anyone wants it, PM me. I want to see it used, I bought a buunch for my photo class and this is what's left. It's 8x10. It's free.
    Last edited by madgardener; 03-02-2013 at 07:29 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot to add something

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin