Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,567   Online: 1189

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

How Many Individual Still Film Stockpilers Worldwide (Estimate)

A friend (layperson) asked me the other day: How many people are seriously stockpiling photographic film recently (within last few years) for long term future use.

So let's say to qualify for "serious":

-photographic Film bought fresh for still photography(within expiry)
    -Stand alone freezer or fridge dedicated to said film
    -3 cubic feet or more

I'm going to guess an average of 2 per US state and twice that total worldwide
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 03-01-2013 at 11:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

How Many Individual Still Film Stockpilers Worldwide (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    A friend (layperson) asked me the other day: How many people are seriously stockpiling and freezing color negative and color transparency film recently (within last few years) for long term future use.

So let's say to qualify for "serious":

-Still Film bought fresh (within expiry)
    -Stand alone freezer or fridge dedicated to film
    -3 cubic feet or more
    -can include discontinued B&W such as Plus X and Kodak TXP 320 Roll, etc..

I'm going to guess average of 2 per US state and twice that total worldwide
    I would think a lot more than that, I mean even I have 2 cubic feet of film an a dedicated mini fridge/freezer and I've spilled over into the meat freezer. And I don't have very much film... There are a minimum of 150 daily active users who I bet have more than that, and that's just on APUG

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do it myself the last few years.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd say many more that the OP's estimate. I wouldn't consider myself as any more than a keen amateur, with several other hobbies as well, but I have a dedicated freezer with enough film to keep me going for several years at my present rate of use. This includes a useful amount of discontinued films e.g. Ektachrome, Astia and Efke, all of which I stocked up on at ordinary prices before they finished.
    Apart from anything else, having saved up and spent a lot of cash (to me, at least!) on analogue gear over the years, I have no wish to have to spend to re-equip myself with equivalent digital gear!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have 1000 rolls of Arista Premium 400 cold stored b/c they are no longer making it. As it's my every day workhorse film that amount should last me 3-4 years. I've also stocked up on 20 rolls each of: Delta Pro 3200, Tmax 3200, Neopan 400, Plus-X 125, and Lomo 110 color and black/white.

On top of all that I have a couple hundred rolls of various expired and infrared films.

Not sure if that's considered stockpiling, but I do have more in stock than my local lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have had 3 cu ft or more dedicated fridge for 2 decades...
    I did buy enought tri-x to satisfy my need for the next 5 years.
    ===vw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I, too, would suggest the OP's estimate is seriously underestimating the incidence of "stockpiling." By what degree is anyone's guess. Using the criteria provided, I would be considered a "stockpiler." I have an 18 cubic foot refrigerator for archival film storage, the freezer compartment of which is used solely for (unexposed) film storage (three cubic feet?). I also have a stash in my deep-freeze (exact storage capacity unknown...2 1/2 ft X 3 1/2 ft x
    4 ft?); as well, I keep a hundred rolls(?) or so of fresh (long-dated) film in my food refrigerator. Current inventory: 250 rolls of E100G (120), 50 rolls of E100VS (120), 346 rolls of E100G (35mm), 65 rolls of E100VS (35mm), 216 rolls of Tri-X (35mm), 104 rolls of HP5 Plus (35mm), 150 rolls of PanF Plus (120), 108 rolls of FP4 Plus (120) and 10 rolls of PanF Plus (35mm). (Oh, and 140 rolls of Kodachrome, mostly in bricks, picked up for between $.90-$1.15/ roll.) Stockpiling? Hoarding? Why so much film? The Ektachrome (both formats) is solely for a two-year planned book project I am currently involved in on Vancouver Island. The black and white? The 120 format materials are for my landscape shooting (I am a passionate outdoorsman); the 35mm film is for general work. Why such a large amount of film for someone who no longer shoots professionally? $$$$ ! I buy all my film from Adorama or B&H (both great places to deal with, so I like to spread around the largesse), and buying in bulk makes sense considering the shipping costs reflect the bi-coastal travel.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Several cubic feet in the freezer here. I buy when i see good deals, or when I think I'm getting low on some film.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree OP's requirements may be stock pile for an casual film enthusiast... but I "feed" 6 formats... 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, 120, 35mm, and 16mm
    In the "day" I fed 4x5, 120, and 35mm in B+W Transparency and negatives. I used to go through a box of Transparency 4x5 in 6 months... now .....

Just look at how much film from the 1960's to 1990's shows up for sale... and there was no need to stock pile.
    I simply used to over-estimate how much Tungsten rated film I would need when I bought a 10 pack deal... and my color negative stock pile I gave to a college was orphan from the digital revolution.. (First couple years of the digital years when I couldn't afford a second body I kept a F100 in the bag and 6 rolls of NPS400._ and so it went)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So that's only 200 stockpilers worldwide? (Or 228 if Obama is counting) I bet that's a pretty low estimate.

I've been stockpiling, guilty as charged. I bet every one of Keith Canham's film customers (some of which are over $12k judging by the willingness to pay for a whole custom order) stockpile. I bet a large portion of the Ilford ULF order stockpile a multi-year supply as a buffer in case they miss a year or in the event of a business problem or just to hedge prices. I bet the people who order just a minimum qty for that are a minority. Most people aren't really interested in talking about how much film they have in their freezer.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin