Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,728   Online: 1055

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Cross-process C41 in BW chem

Is it possible to process C41 film in black & white chemistry?
    If so, what is the receipt, time, etc.
    Any samples to look at?
    Thank You,
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Look at my created posts

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Here

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/114706-cross-process-c-41-film-stand-developed-rodinal-b-w-chemistry.html

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

And if you like the process... We can trade...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum380/115251-wtt-my-c-41-film-your-b-w-film-4x5-toyo-field-camera.html

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done this only to test my "perforating" of un-perfed color film for an 126 cartridge.

The results were not great, but I was looking for frame spacing, light leaks, etc., so quality didn't matter. I've seen many posts on this forum with quite nice examples, so a good job can be done, and others here can give better information.

However, it was difficult for me to find instructions specific for D-76 (the site search can be a bit hit-or-miss). I've a litre of unused D-76 that is about 6 months old, and I'd rather use it for testing than toss it. I suspect there are better developers for this.

Here is what I did:
    - About 5 minutes presoak/wash with warm tap water, several water changes (didn't measure the temp as I wasn't going for good images).
    - 14 minutes of stock strength D-76, 5 inversions every 60 seconds. (The best idea I could find for D-76 was 14 minutes. A previous roll done for 19 minutes seemed a bit too long.)
    - Washed with lukewarm tap water (3 changes of water).
    - About 3 minutes in a stop bath.
    - 15 minutes fix (clip test cleared B&W in 5 min, and the fixer is old).

I was very careful with the developer and fixer times. The other times were not important considering what I was trying to accomplish, so I did not pay too much attention.

Remember, this was a quick and dirty test for me, image quality was not a concern. The film will be darker than B&W film, or color processed C-41, but you should get something useable.

A friend at work has the negatives to scan for me, or I'd post a picture. You can find a lot of examples here on APUG.
    The negatives showed what I was testing was fine, and it does look like I'll have some good, but boring, images.
    Truzi

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    I've done this only to test my "perforating" of un-perfed color film for an 126 cartridge.

The results were not great, but I was looking for frame spacing, light leaks, etc., so quality didn't matter. I've seen many posts on this forum with quite nice examples, so a good job can be done, and others here can give better information.

However, it was difficult for me to find instructions specific for D-76 (the site search can be a bit hit-or-miss). I've a litre of unused D-76 that is about 6 months old, and I'd rather use it for testing than toss it. I suspect there are better developers for this.

Here is what I did:
    - About 5 minutes presoak/wash with warm tap water, several water changes (didn't measure the temp as I wasn't going for good images).
    - 14 minutes of stock strength D-76, 5 inversions every 60 seconds. (The best idea I could find for D-76 was 14 minutes. A previous roll done for 19 minutes seemed a bit too long.)
    - About 3 minutes in a stop bath.
    - 15 minutes fix (clip test cleared B&W in 5 min, and the fixer is old).

I was very careful with the developer and fixer times. The other times were not important considering what I was trying to accomplish, so I did not pay too much attention.

Remember, this was a quick and dirty test for me, image quality was not a concern. The film will be darker than B&W film, or color processed C-41, but you should get something useable.

A friend at work has the negatives to scan for me, or I'd post a picture. You can find a lot of examples here on APUG.
    The negatives showed what I was testing was fine, and it does look like I'll have some good, but boring, images.
    It's really helpful to the OP if he can see picture examples to determine what process to try out, which is why I included results in my thread

I hope the OP checks them out.

~Stone

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin