Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,063   Online: 834

Shooter
    35mm

Tetenal E-6 3 bath kit FD

The concentrate of the first developer a tetenal e-6 kit is dark yellow with some deposit. Do not know if it is still good. Since the first dev is a b&w developer, can I change it to anothe b&w developer? If so, which one? Can XTOL or rodinal do the job (the ones I have here)?

PS: How can I test the FD to see if it still go? Develop a bw film with it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Dark yellow = no good! When new unopened if is usually a very pale creamy colour and gradually deteriorates in a matter of weeks. With the cost of colour slide film now it isn't worth the risk.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    PS: How can I test the FD to see if it still go? Develop a bw film with it?
    FD will develop b&w film but you need to find out reference dev times before you judge the FD you have. AFAIK there are no published dev times for E6 FD and b&w films. You also need to account for the fact that E6 FD contains a strong silver solvent (most likely 1-2 g/l Thiocyanate) which means if you develop normally exposed b&w film you will lose shadow detail.

Note that E6 FD is not just some random b&w dev, it is carefully balanced to develop all three color layers at a predetermined speed. Use some hack instead and your colors will be off. There are formulas for E6 chemistry on APUG if you want to experiment. stefan4u also posted some interesting data.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin