Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,723   Online: 774

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm thinking I will print this discussion over to the maker community here and hopefully someone can explain to me what is going on. I have been looking for something to keep the water temperature steady for my developing. Unfortunately, I'm not an engineer type person so while I understand some of what's happening here, I don't understand all of it.

Does your unit work on 110-120 or would I have to have a 220 socket installed where I planned to use this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's actually pretty simple. They work perfectly as a tempering bath.

I'm no engineer myself but have gotten it to work perfectly. I fried up a relay doing something stupid, and another one stopped working for no apparant reason. Glad they're under $5. Heh. Maybe because I only paid under $5?

I just increased my 8x10 test bed size to a large garbage pail that I think will be my tank. I want to be able to do 8x10 sheet hangars and a basket of reels. That's the plan anyhow, and with this size it works great. Saves me around $100 for a custom tank which is what I would like, but it isn't really necessary.

It doesn't appear that I will be using the 4kw heaters. A test with it showed it raising a full casserole dish of water 4 - 5 degrees in less than 10 seconds. Within 2 seconds of power, water was sizzling off the element. With the small tank sizes, it's overkill and if the relay ever fails and keeps it open, it will melt any film in it.

I ordered a 200W aquarium heater that I hope I can set past the 32C limit. The dials are usually just stopped by a plastic piece that can easily be bypassed. That's what I have done with a couple 50W heaters. 29C was the limit but they'll go over 40C no problem now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "I want to be able to do 8x10 sheet hangars and a basket of reels."

Or perhaps not. Chemistry volume is obviously going to have to be a consideration. Heh.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've always used $22 GE roaster purchased at Walmart. I've never had a problem maintaining temp within tolerance for the whole development time once temp is stabilized.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d31_6017_d_raw.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	976.1 KB 
ID:	66986

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
    I've always used $22 GE roaster purchased at Walmart. I've never had a problem maintaining temp within tolerance for the whole development time once temp is stabilized.

I used his idea and now develop my color film in the same way with very similar equipment as he does. check out his site for details.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamar View Post

So the low setting (presumably) holds the temp low enough for the color chemicals? I tested our slow cooker, a different make, and the lowest, stablized temperature was around 120F.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a roaster oven. Turn the temperature control on the oven to max so it's always on. Connect a good PID temperature controller to the AC plug and put a thermocouple in the water. It works great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I use a roaster oven. Turn the temperature control on the oven to max so it's always on. Connect a good PID temperature controller to the AC plug and put a thermocouple in the water. It works great.
    Sounds like the ticket. What PID controller are you using if you don't mind my asking.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, it goes low. I've added marks on the controller to get me in the ball park then it's just a mater of dialing it in. I start by filling it with tap water a little above the required temperature and by the time the fill is complete it is just about right. Ambient temp makes a difference, if it's winter and the house is cooler my thermostat setting is usually a little higher than my mark. It isn't a walk away type setup though; if you walk away for a half hour you may find your temperature has change by several degrees. I Initially check every 5 minutes or so and make fine adjustments to the controller as necessary. After a few cycles of checking and adjusting it will hold the temperature for the entire development process.

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    So the low setting (presumably) holds the temp low enough for the color chemicals? I tested our slow cooker, a different make, and the lowest, stabilized temperature was around 120F.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Sounds like the ticket. What PID controller are you using if you don't mind my asking.
    I use this controller
    http://www.newark.com/omron-industri...vac/dp/58T9504

with this solid state relay so I can have it switches on and off very rapidly

http://www.newark.com/crydom/d2425/s...Crydom_93K7541

I use them only because I have them on hand. A great number of others will work fine. Pricing about the same for simple one. Or you can buy the one that the OP used.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin