Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,676   Online: 886

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    Proportional controllers are nice, but fairly expensive.
    I guess it depends on your definition of expensive! You should be able to buy a nice one for US $30 or less, even on that unmentionable auction site.

Shooter
    35mm
    So I have developed my first roll of C-41 using my water bath and aquarium heater/water pump setup. For the most part I'm pretty satisfied with the results,but there are a couple questions about the way the film turned out. Specifically, some of the pictures have really bad grain, and the picture of the table saw seems to have a lot of something. Below is the link to the pictures and I would really appreciate some feedback and comments.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos

The pictures were taken with a "new"(to me) Maxxum 300xi, set to automatic with kodak max 400, in my mother-in-law's house and basement of random things.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could you post the photos here? That google link is prompting me for a login.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been trying to post a few photos here but I need to find a way to shrink the size. APUG keeps telling me that my file size is too large for processing.

I developed some more rolls yesterday, giving this batch of chems, 5, 24 exposure, and 1 roll of 36. One of rolls is some stuff I bought off the web 2 years ago (Memories, which is fuji), and that roll came out very light, almost to the point of not being able to see anything at all. The rolls of Kodak came out and seem to look pretty good.

I'll be scanning later today.

The temperatur

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been trying to post a few photos here but I need to find a way to shrink the size. APUG keeps telling me that my file size is too large for processing.

I developed some more rolls yesterday, giving this batch of chems, 5, 24 exposure, and 1 roll of 36. One of rolls is some stuff I bought off the web 2 years ago (Memories, which is fuji), and that roll came out very light, almost to the point of not being able to see anything at all. The rolls of Kodak came out and seem to look pretty good.

I'll be scanning later today.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    So I have developed my first roll of C-41 using my water bath and aquarium heater/water pump setup. For the most part I'm pretty satisfied with the results,but there are a couple questions about the way the film turned out. Specifically, some of the pictures have really bad grain, and the picture of the table saw seems to have a lot of something. Below is the link to the pictures and I would really appreciate some feedback and comments.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos

The pictures were taken with a "new"(to me) Maxxum 300xi, set to automatic with kodak max 400, in my mother-in-law's house and basement of random things.
    You have mistakenly posted incorrect link. This will direct people to their own albums. To share any of your album, point your cursor to the title of the album and right-click > copy link and post it here. Also make sure you have set viewing permissions to public for that album.

Or use the option to share via link (see: https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1407859)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Revisiting this topic, I relocated back to the USA from China. I didn't want to bring back the fully assembled water bath, so I removed the essential components that would work on the USA power grid (110v versus 220v power), and started over. This also allowed me to improve some aspects of the system.

Here is what I didn't like about the original bath:

1) I used a cheap plastic storage tub from a local home supply store in Beijing. It had no insulation. On the positive side it was very cheap and very simple to work with. But insulation is very important with this device.

2) I felt spatially constrained. My jugs competed for floor space with the heater, pump, and temperature sensor. Also, I felt I wouldn't have room for E6, or even for a non-blix based C-41, with my dip-and-dunk setup. Wouldn't be a problem for daylight tank (patterson) processing, but for my large format I like doing a lights out dip and dunk, and that takes a lot of floor space.

3) When using the bath as a sous vide cooker, the bags of food would float into the heater. I worried the heater would melt open the bags or something else tragic.

I just finished rebuilding my system in the US. I used an Igloo Marine 70 qt cooler. The cooler has enough depth that I was able to place the heater, pump, and sensor at the bottom of the cooler, and create a rack above for tanks, using the full inside dimension of the cooler. I used the PID controller from China, which takes 110v with no problem. The temperature sensor similarly works fine (it doesn't depend on wall power). The immersion pump actually worked when I plugged it into 110v power, though it is only rated for 220. It also sounded like crap, so I don't think it survived the move very well. So I replaced it with a new, similar pump.

The heater and temperature sensors are mounted in through holes. I used 3" squares of plastic from Tap Plastic to mount the devices, and heavily sealed it all with clear silicone sealant. The pump was simply mounted in a corner on its side, with a plastic block holding it stable, while allowing it to be removed (in case it burns out, which they tend to do). The output blows directly onto the heater.

I like this setup. It is more roomy, it is insulated, and it has a drain at the bottom that my previous one didn't have.

Here are a couple of photos:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterbath.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	501.7 KB 
ID:	77247

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterbath1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	403.7 KB 
ID:	77248

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Make? Model?

Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I use a microprocessor controlled water bath I bought off ebay for $20. the tank it roughly 20" x 20" and 6" deep. I can set it for 105 degrees for E6 and it holds that temp within a quarter of a degree. .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    and only $200 for the controller alone? I don't think MacGyver has that kind of money.

I wonder if a circulating pump would prevent the problem Lamar reports re: temperature drift?

I was all ready to develop my first C-41, or so I thought, till I realized my aquarium heater wont get me there. I've been trying to MacGyver my titanium ViaAqua aquarium heater but haven't had success. Even after maxing out the trim screw it can't maintain 103, and the adjusting post that the knob attaches to has an internal stop that I'm afraid to mess with. Being only 75 watt I'm not sure its powerful enough anyway. I need an alternative, cheap and fast. My chems are already mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I use this controller
    http://www.newark.com/omron-industri...vac/dp/58T9504

with this solid state relay so I can have it switches on and off very rapidly

http://www.newark.com/crydom/d2425/s...Crydom_93K7541

I use them only because I have them on hand. A great number of others will work fine. Pricing about the same for simple one. Or you can buy the one that the OP used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    and only $200 for the controller alone? I don't think MacGyver has that kind of money.

I wonder if a circulating pump would prevent the problem Lamar reports re: temperature drift?

I was all ready to develop my first C-41, or so I thought, till I realized my aquarium heater wont get me there. I've been trying to MacGyver my titanium ViaAqua aquarium heater but haven't had success. Even after maxing out the trim screw it can't maintain 103, and the adjusting post that the knob attaches to has an internal stop that I'm afraid to mess with. Being only 75 watt I'm not sure its powerful enough anyway. I need an alternative, cheap and fast. My chems are already mixed.

Wayne, go on Amazon and search for an immersion water heater. They are used to heat small pots or cups of water for tea, typically. They have a handle and a curled wire that is immersed. You can get them for less than $20, and they are rated at as much as 1200 watts or even more. Pay attention to the voltage though - some on Amazon are 250v/6 amp devices, you don't want them. And those are more expensive. These latter devices are typically replacement heaters for hot water heater tanks. You can tell these by the lack of a handle, and instead a threaded base. Those are typically 250v devices, but if you find a 110 v device and can fabricate the threaded receiver socket, it would be a more "professional" solution than the little immersion heater.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin