Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,220   Online: 863

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Drums. Two 16x20" Jobos, 24x24" home-made and 36x50" home-made. Kodak RT/LU with white vinegar stop. #13 safelight only when doing photograms.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Well I think I would continue to use tube on a rotary base. I think I would room temp as it's difficult to control the temperature while it is in the drum. Both the Nova, the Jobo and the Fujimoto is out of reach for me right now price wise.
    Temp drift and time variabilities due to manual fill and dumps are the two aspects of drum processing that will keep you from dialing in the perfect ra4 print - you'll be lucky to get within a cc point or two of neutral and once you get there making a duplicate will be well nigh impossible. If you have high standards for print quality and the ability to get there, drum or tray ra-4 processing will drive you nuts with the variability.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Temp drift and time variabilities due to manual fill and dumps are the two aspects of drum processing that will keep you from dialing in the perfect ra4 print - you'll be lucky to get within a cc point or two of neutral and once you get there making a duplicate will be well nigh impossible. If you have high standards for print quality and the ability to get there, drum or tray ra-4 processing will drive you nuts with the variability.
    A temperature controlled drum is perfectly consistent (I have produced 15+ copies of a couple prints, no visible difference even in side-by-side comparison), especially if you do the proper process-temp prewash.

If a Jobo is too much $$$ and you're handy, there are lots of instructions on the web for making a bath from an aquarium pump, kettle element and PID controller for $100ish.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have no problem making a tempering bath and keep the bath at correct temperature. My problem is how to keep the chemical once pour into the drum not to change. The Jobo had the drum submerged but how do I submerge my drum in my tempering bath?
    I could make a higher precision tempering bath than the Jobo but I don't know how to keep my drum underwater to keep the chemical from dropping the temperature. The Jobo has the coupling and drive system which I found difficult to duplicate.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is controlling the temperature precisely as important as getting results that you can reproduce? I use a tempered pre-wash with my drum, and the developer goes in at 94F. I develop for one minute and don't reuse the developer. Sure, there's temperature drift, but it doesn't vary much between processing cycles (assuming non-extreme ambient temperatures) and it averages out to the recommended 92F for this processing time. RA-4 works over a range of temperatures, so it seems like like you have some leeway.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    RA-4 works over a range of temperatures, so it seems like like you have some leeway.
    This is especially true at low temperature development. It is why I prefer two minutes at 68 degrees with RA-RT developer in trays. I have no problem with consistancy and it is a very inexpensive way to go, no processor to spend money on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin