Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,796   Online: 689

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Want to sell the chemicals? I have lots of paper but no chems. Might be interested in the whole thing. Please email me at lightwisps@yahoo.com Thanks, Don

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have about one season of Ciba supplies left, but don't know when I'll get to it. Even if I could go back, I wouldn't. A beautiful medium, but very expensive and now basically superseded quality-wise,
    in terms of both permanence and color reproduction characteristics. RA4 chem bothers me more, because one could almost instantly neutralize Ciba bleach. Extremely small amts of RA4 bother me,
    so if there's a deal-breaker that would be it. But oh, those true darkroom prints can sure look way more
    convincing that the alternatives. Color neg printing no longer needs to be that bland stepchild it once
    was, suitable only for low-key subjects like portraiture or "artsy" off-color things. It's really grown up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Let's just be grateful that most of Aunt Maude's vacation pictures have faded into oblivion, and also let us hope that most of today's artsyfied inkjet abominations will also fade prompty. Ciba certainly fades if subjected to strong UV commercial lighting or direct sunlight. It seems to be very permanent in the dark. The current Crystal Archive II medium is allegedly a lot more display permanent than Ciba, but
    will probably start to discolor within several decades due to residual couplers, regardless of conditions
    (except perhaps hermetically frozen). It therefore represents a good value. We all "fade" too.

Hello? Do you know anything at all about those processes?
    And what makes you think the abominations are inkjet prints? Can you name the three processes?
    And no, Ilfochrome prints do NOT fade or discolour "after several decades due to residual couplers" regardless of conditions.
    Please check your facts and research before coming across as A diety on all things from Ciba to alternative processes. Not all of us stand convinced by a few things you have said here.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Drew did not relate Ilfochrome to couplers.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Poisson - please read what I actually wrote. It's chromogenic prints which contain residual couplers,
    and obviously not chromolytic. And yes, I do know a thing or two about Ciba, as well as accelerated
    aging methodology and its limitations. I do not pretend to be a dye chemist, but have individually tested the characteristics of certain media for decades under quite a range of display and mounting conditions. I realize that the web is a very democratic field of conversation where everyone speaks
    their mind, but I am not bluffing. Anyone familiar with my methods knows that I test things thoroughly
    and that I am offering tidbits of information for everyone's general benefit, that is, if they want to
    take an analogous route. This has nothing to do with "alternative processes" which I would interpret as
    handmade. This is simply mainstream information, and not by any means unique to me. My Cibachromes has been either displayed alongside or outright purchased by some of the most famous photographers who have ever lived, as well as with major international painters. I have no aspirations to be a household name - could care less about that nonsense. But I'm not a little league printer either. So yes.... I do happen to know something worthwhile about these processes, at least in practical terms. And I think that forty years of printing experience with Ciba would consitute a bit of
    background, along with the fact I've personally designed at built some of the most color-accurate enlargers in the world. But 'scuse me ... cause I've got to soon change a lightbulb in one.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It is perhaps somewhat off topic on APUG to discuss a purely digital color methodology, namely inkjet.
    Aardenburg is probably doing the most comprehensive stability testing on such materials. The archival
    issue of inkjet is the sheer complexity of all the potential ingredients and combinations of substrates.
    Accelerated aging testing is better than nothing, but is no substitute for an actual track record, which
    simply doesn not exist with inkjet at this point in history. If you study the patents, you will realize a
    lot of the pigments are simply lakes of otherwise ordinary dyes which might or might not be superior to
    their original ingredient. By contrast, the characteristics of the three primary azo dyes in Ciba are very
    well known at this point in time, and the steady evolution of typical chromogenic papers (now RA4) has
    quite a long precedent. The term "abomination" should be completely fair on a forum allegedly dedicated to analog practice. I was generically referring to how, given how inkjet has now taken over
    the majority of amateur printing needs, it has basically replaced all the hideous image qualities once
    provided by the corner Photomat. There are obviously very skilled practitioners of inkjet too, just as
    many world-class printers previously chose Cibachrome or dye transfer as a premier medium. Visually,
    optical prints still have certain seamless characteristics that can nearly be mimicked by top-end laser
    printers, but not yet by inkjet, though it has its own appeal. This being APUG, one would at least
    of imagine that there are some potential color darkroom workers tuning in here who will take advantage
    of my own learning curve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I always smile (usually only inwardly) when someone refers to their inkjet print as a Giclee print. Obviously the french-ified sort of word must be 'better', but it also translates as ejaculation-print.....

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is RA-4 All There Is Now?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    I always smile (usually only inwardly) when someone refers to their inkjet print as a Giclee print. Obviously the french-ified sort of word must be 'better', but it also translates as ejaculation-print.....
    From the Google Translate app on my iPad:
    Giclee: noun: splash, spurt, jet

Yup! Sounds about right.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Let's just be grateful that most of Aunt Maude's vacation pictures have faded into oblivion, and also let us hope that most of today's artsyfied inkjet abominations will also fade prompty.
    Probably Aunt Maud's grandchildren would treasure their grandmother's holiday pictures, but they might throw your artsified (and meaningless to them) Ilfochrome abominations into the nearest skip/dumpster!

San fairy ann,
    kevs
    Last edited by kevs; 04-09-2013 at 05:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    testing...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well... not exactly. People have purchased unframed work-print Cibas which I threw into the trash! I'm like to accommodate people, and if they can only afford to spend several hundred bucks per print, I
    come up with something. They look good enough for general decor. The old faded Cibas seem to get
    handed down to someone too. Never had heard of anyone throwing one out yet, though a few are probably well past their prime. And I'm sure Aunt Maud would look even more stately with all her nose warts and frills on her lil' ole lady hat in crisp focus on a fine Ciba print.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin