Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,567   Online: 939

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What kind of RA-4 paper and chemicals would you recommend

As I have decided to go with tube processing at room temp what kind of paper and chemical would you recommend. I used to use Kodak Endura but I guess they don't make them in sheets any more. I generally use 8x10 sheets in glossy finish. Also Kodak chemicals are not recommended to be used in room temp I think.

Shooter
    35mm
    The only paper that is available in sheets is Fuji, so the choice is made for you. I use Kodak Ektacolor RA4 which is designed to be used at 35 degrees C but with experimentation it can be used at 20C. The processing times are longer - a lot longer.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, there's Fuji Crystal Archive, and there's Fuji Crystal Archive. The choice is yours.

Seriously, there are "dealers" that cut and repackage the Kodak paper. I've heard mixed reviews, so you're on your own there.

Doesn't Arista make a color paper in sheets?

Anways, I'm getting good results from the Fuji paper in the Kodak RA/RT chemicals. I'm processing at 94F in drums.

Shooter
    35mm
    If someone no less than PE says you can use Kodak chemicals at room temp then you can use Kodak chemicals at room temp(20C). Development time is about 2 mins so not that long( Ilford paper and dev take 1 min)

I have tried it and it works fine

pentaxuser

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes the Kodak chems work fine at room temp. I use trays and get good results with both Endura and Chrystal Archive II paper.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I gave up on "room temp" processing quite awhile ago. Inconsistent. I've standardized on one-shot
    Kodak RA/RT at 82F, along with CAII paper (or any reasonably recent Fuji CA paper - the differences are minor, but I do like CAII the best).

Shooter
    35mm
    Drew, if you don't mind what are the part numbers you use for Kodak RA/RT you mentioned ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Kodak chems are great if you can get them, e.g. the 4x5L kits. There was a thread a while back that said room temp worked for Kodak papers but not Fuji; I can't confirm because I run it at 35C as recommended.

As an alternative to Fuji, Freestyle sells their Arista brand. I'm not sure if it's an older revision of FCA or whether it's from a different manufacturer, but I found it to work with basically the same filter settings as FCA. It doesn't have the Fuji printing on the back and the base isn't quite as white as the latest FCA, though you can only see the difference side-by-side and it's very very subtle. I also suspect it has a little less magenta/green crossover than FCA but can't be sure just yet.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not had any problems with consistancy at room temps with Endura but haven't used FCA enough to say whether room temperature variation may cause inconsistancies. But overall results are very close to Endura. When using at room temperature one should endeavor to keep developer temperature within a small range if consistancy is important. I would think though, that there would have to be more headroom at low temperatures than higher ones.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I standardize on 2 min dev (incl drain). That gives me plenty of consistency, yet is short enough so that the chem is not likely to drift significantly in temp in the drum (which is internally preheated by
    a prewet phase of larger solution volume first).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin