Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,598   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just how expensive country Australia is? I live in Finland -- one of the most expensive EU countries to live in -- and even here 135/36 Velvia 50 roll costs 16,90 €. If we order from Germany, it's 10,25 €. Compared to that $35.90 sounds very odd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    35 dollars for a roll of Velvia? That can't be right.
    Coming down a bit from last time I visited, but still very high (1 x RVP 50, 135/36):
    http://vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=69498

Fancy a 5-pack of Velvia 100F? Dig deep:
    http://vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=69505

Nobody can make sense of these prices, which is why we stay away from these places! Online is the way to go.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    35 dollars for a roll of Velvia? That can't be right.
    Says the American. Why do you think we buy from B&H/Freestyle/Macodirect/etc ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Coming down a bit from last time I visited, but still very high (1 x RVP 50, 135/36):
    http://vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=69498

Fancy a 5-pack of Velvia 100F? Dig deep:
    http://vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=69505

Nobody can make sense of these prices, which is why we stay away from these places! Online is the way to go.
    Seriously dude, you gotta find another shop:
    http://www.photographicwholesalers.c...film/35mm-film here in Adelaide are expensive for lenses, but provia100F 5pk for $25 (they do sell velvia but not listed on website).
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_o...at=0&_from=R40 via ebay in Sydney, 5pk of velvia100F 120 for $40, most expensive is 5pk of Velvia50 135-36 for $60.
    http://www.blackandwhitephoto.com.au...ints/buy-films where i get my developing done, $13.45 for one roll of Velvia50 135-36. I was talking to the owner late last year, he said that he used to buy from Fuji Australia, they charged him more than that *per roll wholesale*, something like $16. So now he imports straight from Japan or I don't know where, but now he pays about $6-10 wholesale (i'm guessing) and sells it for $14.

That Vanbar place obviously are still buying from Fuji Australia. Ditch em.

(still, i'm going to stock up on a few rolls while I've got the freezer space.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Says the American. Why do you think we buy from B&H/Freestyle/Macodirect/etc ?
    Silly American question, then...

If you guys can skirt the (forced, for whatever reason...) high prices by purchasing direct from Freestyle, B&H, or MacoDirect, then why can't the Austrailian retail outlets do the same? Seems to me that would be a quick way for them to beat the competition on price—and apparently by a lot—and also create lots of new, happy customers.

Are there laws prohibiting such sideways grey-market importing?

Or would the wholesale distributors come after them with pitchforks? And even if they did, so what? It would seem that those distributors are no good to them in the first place if they are forcing prices so high that end-user customers are doing the self-importing thing anyway. A lost sale is a lost sale.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not a silly question at all, but it seems they just don't care so they charge what they like and sit back and see what happens. On occasion I buy from a retailer in Sydney, Tri-X and Across, at about $13.00 a roll. That seems reasonable, but I usually buy large quantities from the US, which is still a lot cheaper despite the horrific postal costs.
    I really don't know where Vanbar gets it's stock, but if I can import it cheaply...? Either they are ripping us off, or their supplier is ripping them off...either way I'm sure they never sell any film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Seriously dude, you gotta find another shop:
    http://www.photographicwholesalers.c...film/35mm-film here in Adelaide are expensive for lenses, but provia100F 5pk for $25 (they do sell velvia but not listed on website).
    http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_o...at=0&_from=R40 via ebay in Sydney, 5pk of velvia100F 120 for $40, most expensive is 5pk of Velvia50 135-36 for $60.
    http://www.blackandwhitephoto.com.au...ints/buy-films where i get my developing done, $13.45 for one roll of Velvia50 135-36. I was talking to the owner late last year, he said that he used to buy from Fuji Australia, they charged him more than that *per roll wholesale*, something like $16. So now he imports straight from Japan or I don't know where, but now he pays about $6-10 wholesale (i'm guessing) and sells it for $14.

That Vanbar place obviously are still buying from Fuji Australia. Ditch em.

(still, i'm going to stock up on a few rolls while I've got the freezer space.)

Sydney, yes, that's where my films are coming from: 5-pack RVP50 120 is $47.50. I am not really interested in retail nowadays; I buy from Vanbar (distant and frustratiing to travel to) only those items (not film) that are necessary e.g. tranny masks (themselves unreasonably priced!); virtually all my purchasing is online, in fact the whole family purchases online (I taught the "silver surfers"! ; yesterday they bought a huge dining table setting!! )
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a real possibility that the distributor for film in Australia is also the distributor for other items that the Australian retailers are more dependent upon for their sales.

So if they try to work around the distributors and import "grey market" film, the Australian retailers may mess up their contracts with the source for the majority of their profits.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Silly American question, then...

If you guys can skirt the (forced, for whatever reason...) high prices by purchasing direct from Freestyle, B&H, or MacoDirect, then why can't the Austrailian retail outlets do the same? Seems to me that would be a quick way for them to beat the competition on price—and apparently by a lot—and also create lots of new, happy customers.

Are there laws prohibiting such sideways grey-market importing?

Or would the wholesale distributors come after them with pitchforks? And even if they did, so what? It would seem that those distributors are no good to them in the first place if they are forcing prices so high that end-user customers are doing the self-importing thing anyway. A lost sale is a lost sale.

Ken
    Well, take the instance of a printer I'm (attemtping to) buy. Probably the Epson R3000 (but a tough call to the Canon Pro-1).
    For a start, look for a price in Australia. Find a price lower than $1350 retail, I dare you (and tell me please?). (i've found it $1180 on 'special' but that's still almost double the NorthAm price.
    Go to B+H, and see that it's $800, or $650 with a $150 mail-in rebate. Now add it to your cart, and click for shipping costs to AU. See the error "due to export or manufacturer restrictions we cannont post to AU". Same when I wanted a scanner, v750 (hey, the v750 isn't even available in AU, max is v700, I got my v750 2nd-hand off ebay from France).
    So yes, it's Epson leaning on B+H telling them not to post it overseas. Apparently Canon do it too, I just tried for the Pro-1 as well. Not to mention Canon's famous 'same-product-same-factory-different-country-so-no-warranty-screw-you' policy.
    Try Adorama? For some reason, epson don't lean on them as much, but still it's $780, plus $550 shipping please.
    Even on Fleabay from a (supposedly) trusted seller in Asia, it's well over $1000 shipped. We just can't win.

It's such a problem there's even been a recent Government Inquiry into m$, crapple, and a dooby, about their prices. We've got a good consumer-advocate group here that are actively encouraging the general public to circumvent geo-blocking for software downloads. If I were going to, I'm thankful I can log onto my company's VPN on my work laptop and attach to the Fresno node, others aren't so lucky.

Back to film though, at least shipping costs are relatively low. Velvia 50 and 100 might be fine, but I also shoot Delta P3200 (only in 120-size, then the grain is manageable). Importing from overseas, there's no guarantee that your package won't be X-Rayed and fogged in the process, actually there's a fairly good change it will. Thankfully there's guys like Cheap_shots_au who buy in bulk in a proper import, and thus bypass the xray that happens to small packages. Anyone ever imported really high-iso film and had it fogged by xray?

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, I never knew how high the price of film can get outside of the U.S. I feel for you guys is AU

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin