Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,280   Online: 927

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Seeking Recommendations for a Colour Negative Film

A long-time shooter of black and white film (as well as - sigh - Kodachrome and Ektachrome), I confess to little experience with colour negative film. In fact, over the three decades that I have been shooting, I would (over) estimate to having shot less that 20 rolls of colour negative stock. So, here is my question: My nephew is getting married in June and asked if I would shoot the "candid moments" of his wedding (a professional wedding photographer, with d*****l, will be shooting the formal pics). Both my nephew (23) and his bride (25) are insistent that I shoot film (twist my arm, kids). The issue? He wants black and white (a mix of HP5/Tri-X and Delta 3200, depending upon the location), and she wants colour. So, what do I use? Do I push a 400 ISO film, when required, and hope for the best? Thoughts? Advice? Oh, and my nephew asked that I shoot with the Leicas "because they don't make any sound, so you won't be noticed when you are shooting people." An interesting remark, I thought, from a confessed technophile.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've been shooting a number of friends/relatives weddings. I used to shot with fixed lenses (35, 85, 135). The lens i used most was the 85 (planar 1.4) that can be used without a tripod with a 100 iso. When available Fuji Reala was the main choice. Now i use Kodak Ektar (100 iso) and kodak portra (160 iso). This is my experience. Consider i live in central Italy where marriages take place (mainly) from april to september when there's plenty of light (sometimes too harsh....) To be honest i do not know the light conditions up there in BC. If i were in your shoes i would just use a couple of lenses (a wide angle and a short tele). I think you're in a privileged position. No pressure to deliver a "formal" product, possibility to take pictures to a young couple that is, from a photographic point of view, a great chance. I think your dear old leicas will outplace the "official photographer" super digital gear.Enjoy yourself :-)

Shooter
    35mm

Re: Seeking Recommendations for a Colour Negative Film

I would shoot Portra 160 or NPH400.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What powasky said.

I WOULD NOT use Kodak Ektar 100.

Personally, I think you should let the hired pro take care of the color with his digital.

If I were in your shoes, I would stick to B&W. and later - at your leisure- have silver gelatin fiber print made - in this way, you are value adding above and beyond what the hired pro will be furnishing.

This is from being in your shoes once before.
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 03-24-2013 at 01:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Portra is sufficiently different from digital, it's worth evaluating. Use what B&W film you are familiar with. Familiarity is more important than specific choices.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would use portra but then I would refuse to do candid shots and using film. Doing candid means I would need faster film which is a disadvantage of film. I rather be the official photographer and take the the set up shots where I can supply enough light for film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another option is to think about saying NO. Weddings and photography are a sneaky plan of the devil to fracture families and it works. Sickness is a valid out. Use it!!!! Find some way out. I'd rather have teethe pulled by terrified amatuers (stolen fromW.S.Gilbert, I confess) than do another wedding. Save yourself first, then the women and children.
    Logan

Shooter
    35mm
    Did you mention whether you're going to be indoors or outdoors? I like to use unfiltered tungsten-balanced film under mixed lighting indoors (without the use of a flash). I could be mistaken but I think you can still get tungsten balanced negative film in the form of 35mm cine stock (I am still using Fuji T64 which is an E6 film).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd use a flash, and film ISO 400 or slower. I also wouldn't worry too much about the "Leica request" except maybe in a church whre sound may be a problem. At reception... there is likely to be som much noise and excitement that nobody would notice even a really loud camera (like a Hasssssy).

For color negs... Porta, for sure.

For B&W... Ilford.

One camera for each.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by whlogan View Post
    Another option is to think about saying NO. Weddings and photography are a sneaky plan of the devil to fracture families and it works. Sickness is a valid out. Use it!!!! Find some way out. I'd rather have teethe pulled by terrified amatuers (stolen fromW.S.Gilbert, I confess) than do another wedding. Save yourself first, then the women and children.
    Logan
    Scratch what I said above; this guy has the right idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin