Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,962   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

cleaning colour negatives

I just got three rolls of 120 portra 400 back from the local lab and the negatives are covered in fingerprints and surface smudges/streaks. Any advice on how to clean them up would be appreciated. I've never run into this problem before so I don't know how to clean colour negs. thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Isopropanol usually works quite well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Isopropanol often contains a lot of water and will swell the emulsion, making it fragile. Try some PEC film cleaner or similar, which is mostly methanol and butyl ester. No water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also prefer PEC-12.
    You can use isopropyl in a pinch but make sure it is 92% alcohol, not 70%. If you look in the store, there are two kinds. Make sure you get the "high test" stuff.

Whichever you use, PEC-12 or alcohol, use sparingly. Work carefully so as not to scratch.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or if you're really hardcore, trichloroethane

(No, I'm not recommending that. It works insanely well and used to be the default approach, the only drawback being that chlorinated organic compounds will kill you slowly but surely).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PEC-12 leaves deposits when it dries (spray some on something clear, let it dry, it's horrid), and is quite pricey. Even with the tiny drop it recommends.

It's a good solvent, but not as a final cleaner. If you use PEC-12, put the film back through some wash and let it dry to get rid of the PEC-12, though disposable soft gloves and gentle rubbing in the solution of a wetting agent is preferable imho to begin with. Mirasol 2000 Antistatic is good for colour, because it contains anti-bacterial/anti-fungal and anti-static agent.

Also do not use PEC-12 to clean developer tar off things (like it says it can on the bottle), it dries so damn fast, that it deposits it back onto other things, and in many cases it cannot be redissolved by anything, we have a big dark room sink with stains all over it from cleaning with PEC-12.

It cannot be revmoved by more PEC-12, HCl, Bleach, scrubbing, you name it.

I sincerely do not recommend this product.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the lab I work at when we were running film we never used PEC-12 to clean film for the reasons Athiril said. We did use it to clean prints without problems. For film we used cleaners designed specifically for film or anti-static cleaning cloths (great for removing dust). These usually wouldn't remove fingerprints, however. To do that the film was run back through some of the processing chemicals! I don't know exactly which ones because I didn't do it but it worked.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Or if you're really hardcore, trichloroethane

(No, I'm not recommending that. It works insanely well and used to be the default approach, the only drawback being that chlorinated organic compounds will kill you slowly but surely).
    Yeah right! I had exposed to that stuff a lot when I was younger working on printing presses. Now my hands dried out badly every winter. Yeah it's baaaad stuff but it works very well as a solvent for just about anything.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Amen to PEC-12. But there was a minor reason tricholoro got pulled from the film foodchain. It had the
    nasty habit of killing people from time to time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you need to step it up a notch, pure methyl alchohol works superbly, but it's very expensive, and don't confuse this with garden-variety denatured, which has quite a bit of added water, and is otherwise mainly isopropyl. The tech industries use quite a bit of methyl for fussy cleaning work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin