Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,606   Online: 776

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm at the point in terms of critical film testing (very tightly controlled lab conditions) to go so far as
    to state that Ektar is the most color-accurate color neg film I've ever used. This applies to a standard
    like the MacBeath Chart. The deep shadow are more neutral, and the saturated hues better differentiated. This does not mean it is friendly to sloppy exposure or lack or color-temp balancing when needed, or that it is ideal for the average portrait photographer who wants low contrast and subtle skintones at expense to clean saturated hues. Not for everyone. But it's an absolute myth that there's anything wrong with it. The quality control is superb. I've used it in the field in 35mm, 120, 4x5, and 8x10. You just have to think of it as edging a little more into the territory traditionally held by chrome films. ... but not quite there. But if you're a machine-gunner foaming at the mouth against the
    idea of careful metering or using light-balancing filters, maybe you should look elsewhere for a film.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I can just imagine if Kodak were to release an Ektar on clear base, without the orange mask.

It would be perfect for reversal processing and easily scannable as a negative. A perfect modern film.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Indeed! I'd love to see a film that gave me the liberty to mask exactly as I choose. But I'm a bit of a
    dinosaur these days. Ektar scans superbly, but when the format gets small (like 35mm) you do need a
    very high quality scan. This is the wrong forum to discuss why; and I suspect that folks who are disgrunted with this film are really blaming the wrong part of the workflow. I print it optically and it's
    quite an amazing product once you begin to understand it. ... and it's not all about vivid colors! It may
    be a little more saturated and contrasty than Portra film etc, but is quite capable of handling subtle
    neutral tones too. I wouldn't choose it for taking highschool yearbook pictures of kids with zits with it!
    And it's not perfect in terms of hue rendition - no film is! But it is a very high quality product with a lot
    of potential. And like I've stated often before, anyone with the skill to correctly expose slide film can
    get good results with Ektar. But it's for adults.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is it me, or is it Ektar?

Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    Agfa made a 25ISO colour neg film about 20 years ago. The grain was almost non existent, but the contrast and colour saturation was off the clock. It had zero latitude in both the exposure and development stages. It was sharp as hell but totally unmanageable. I think I used it twice then never again. Almost a forerunner of Ektar in all respects.

Like you I am resorting to Portra after this but if it doesn't come up to scratch it is back to Fuji again
    Are you sure that wasn't Ultra 50, not a 25 film? I used it and liked it for some subjects - things that did well looking brighter and more saturated than life and to liven up overcast days. I didn't find it that hard to deal with though it did seem to print more easily on Fuji paper than on Kodak for some reason.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ektar has distinctly less saturation than any chrome film, but more than Portra. It is very well-balanced
    spectrum-wise, and is not just "enhanced" in certain hue categories. If you have blue shadows in the
    scene, that's how they will look in the shot (didn't Manet, Monet, etc figure that out awhile back?).
    In other words, the shadows are not artificially warmed for the sake of skintones. And it's not a film they're going to put into disposable carboard cameras for Aun't Maude's fourth wedding in Peoria. It's
    a film for adults who legally own light meters too.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Ektar has distinctly less saturation than any chrome film, but more than Portra. It is very well-balanced
    spectrum-wise, and is not just "enhanced" in certain hue categories. If you have blue shadows in the
    scene, that's how they will look in the shot (didn't Manet, Monet, etc figure that out awhile back?).
    In other words, the shadows are not artificially warmed for the sake of skintones. And it's not a film they're going to put into disposable carboard cameras for Aun't Maude's fourth wedding in Peoria. It's
    a film for adults who legally own light meters too.
    Hah I love how you say "it's for adults" haha is that your way of saying "it's not for hipster kids" ?? Lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Basically, it's not for geeks who think they can correct anyting in Fauxtoshop after they've utterly botched the exposure in the first place because their idea of a camera is something which is supposed to operate without them thinking at all. In her younger days, even Aunt Maude figured out the sunny
    sixteen rule and knew how to put on a slide show of her honeymoon in Peoria using chrome fim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Hah I love how you say "it's for adults" haha is that your way of saying "it's not for hipster kids" ?? Lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Im betting the lomo/instagram crowd loves when it comes out wonky from poor color balance.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Im betting the lomo/instagram crowd loves when it comes out wonky from poor color balance.
    They probably cross process it in E-6 just to get the orange hue

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    127 Format
    Orange scaling!
    - Bill Lynch

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin