Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,163   Online: 831

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    Agfa made a 25ISO colour neg film about 20 years ago. The grain was almost non existent, but the contrast and colour saturation was off the clock. It had zero latitude in both the exposure and development stages. It was sharp as hell but totally unmanageable. I think I used it twice then never again. Almost a forerunner of Ektar in all respects.

Like you I am resorting to Portra after this but if it doesn't come up to scratch it is back to Fuji again
    Were you thinking about Ektar 25? I used that about 25 years ago. Very fine film. No grain. Here's a scan. http://flic.kr/p/921HSF

and other Ektar 25 shots. http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/tags/ektar/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is it me, or is it Ektar?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Were you thinking about Ektar 25? I used that about 25 years ago. Very fine film. No grain. Here's a scan. http://flic.kr/p/921HSF

and other Ektar 25 shots. http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/tags/ektar/
    Alan that's from 25 years ago? Wow that IS a nice film, that's nicer than Ektar 100 I think.

Thanks for sharing.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ektar 100 truly and thoroughly sucks and Kodak knows it but their best film engineers have since retired and Kodak doesn't care anymore. Color negative film peaked about 12 years ago when Kodak, Fuji, and Agfa were all still fully in the game. A lot of beautiful color emulsions have since departed. The Fuji NPH 400 is probably the best still in existence circa April 2013.

Kodak Ektar 100 is for young kids who and old fools who do not know what quality color silver halide images look like.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Ektar 100 truly and thoroughly sucks and Kodak knows it but their best film engineers have since retired and Kodak doesn't care anymore. Color negative film peaked about 12 years ago when Kodak, Fuji, and Agfa were all still fully in the game. A lot of beautiful color emulsions have since departed. The Fuji NPH 400 is probably the best still in existence circa April 2013.

Kodak Ektar 100 is for young kids who and old fools who do not know what quality color silver halide images look like.
    My, my, we're bitter about something.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's an fantastic image! And I personally find Ektar 100 to be a film favorite, its always easy to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    I guess I could try shooting it at ISO 50. But then I could use Vision3 50D instead, also virtually grainless but I've had a lot of luck with the ECN-2 stocks. Contrast can be managed upwards in RA4 printing (by adding hydrogen peroxide), but regrettably, not downward.

I'm also wondering if Ektar is intolerant of even the slightest processing error. Maybe it is a film that should always be sent to a professional lab, or at least always only Kodak developer used.

As for Fuji, how different was the Pro C film from the Pro S? I have lots of Pro S, but I'm not sure if I like the grain.

And as for the Ektar, I have been printing it on Crystal Archive C, which I get good results on with Portra; maybe I should try printing on Portra Endura, which I also have on hand.
    Actually, you can use bleach exposed paper, in a very very dilute bleach, like you do with black and white printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ektar is an excellent film, and records gentle subtleties very nicely. RA-4 papers of whats left are a bit heavy handed in the optical dark room, their contrast and saturation is high, so it's not a good combination with Ektar when you want gentle results, as there are no gentle papers left.

These RA-4 papers work well in lightjets and the such without needing a huge intensity range of the laser or LED etc to reach full black, and also because the printer is calibrate for WYSWIG from a calibrated monitor, so it can print any 'grade' it's fed.

Ektar 100

Waterfall by athiril, on Flickr

Sunset #2 on Ektar by athiril, on Flickr

Sunset #1 on Ektar by athiril, on Flickr

My example above is exposed for the coloured area of the sky (reflective metered) for 100. This is a scan and I had to clip out all the sand detail and make it dark, as it was too fully detailed and I didn't like that, as otherwise it was too bland and distracting, even at this level of exposure it can record huge shadow detail.

I expose my Portra at box speed for excellent results in portraits, incident metered towards the key light.

If you want to use Ektar and portraits, I would recommend EI 50, incident metered towards the key light, to give +1 to skin tones.

Otherwise I promote box speed usage with incident metering of the key light, or reflective metering of sunsets, etc.

Underexposure causes blue results, especially with very cold lighting, it just compounds the fact

Cape Woolami #7 by athiril, on Flickr

Cape Woolami #8 by athiril, on Flickr

I exposed as long as I could, the light was just fading fast, and basically night by this point, I had tripod nestled/wedged in the rocks up there, supporting with hands, as I had climbed up those two rocks (it's quite high up) and had to climb down before absolutely pitch black, and tide was coming in beneath me.

I would pick Ektar over Reala. The last time I used Reala, I was kind of bewildered by how it turned out, it turned into a HDR-tonemapped looking image, at long exposure at night. Ektar and Portra are ideal companions for any situation practically speaking. These are the two films I cannot do without.

Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I can just imagine if Kodak were to release an Ektar on clear base, without the orange mask.

It would be perfect for reversal processing and easily scannable as a negative. A perfect modern film.
    And lose the masking? No thanks! You might be able to dissolve the mask out though with a solvent anyway.
    Last edited by Athiril; 04-02-2013 at 06:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just the opposite, Athiril - it's easier to get deep blacks printing optically. Lightjet and similar exposure
    devices are dependent upon computer tweaks to correct the overall curve, but are not especially strong
    light sources, esp the green lasers. With enlarging such adjustments can be done by film masking, if needed at all. Paper grades are somewhat limited nowadays in the RA4 dept, but the quality of the paper is outstanding, and Ektar prints absolutely beautifully on all the Crystal Archive papers for example. Like anything else, you have to know what you are doing. If someone wants "soft" or bland results, they'd be better of with Portra 160, or could purchase some of the Type P paper that's still around. All this jabber that, because these newest paper are "digitially optimized" means they are
    somehow less suitable with an ordinary colorhead, is absolute nonsense. They are better than ever
    for the analog darkroom. Now maybe not everyone has fancy additive colorheads like I do, but even
    with traditional subtractive colorheads these papers should equate to a general improvement in color
    reproduction. But I'd be careful to tailor the subject matter to the most reasonable film first. Ektar
    ain't Portra, and Portra ain't Ektar!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Andre - guess I'm just an ole fool! And I must be especially stupid to have my freezer stuffed with
    4x5 and 8x10 Ektar, and at the moment to be cutting down a thousand dollar roll of paper to print Ektar
    images. Thanks for sending me off in the correct direction and informing me that I'm too senile to know how to print. Funny how beautiful those Ektar prints come out, however... must be by sheer chance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, Athiril. ++

What's not to like there?
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin