Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,664   Online: 786

Shooter
    35mm

Mixing Tetenal - advice for E6 first timer.

I've just bought a Tetenal 3 bath kit with the intention of processing a batch of Super 8 (Kodak Ektachrome 100D) and have a couple of questions...

- I have the 5litre capacity. In terms of longevity (if processing low volume) is it best for me to mix the lot and use from there or should I part mix as I need it?
    - I read something about a Tetenal Spray for preserving??? What is that? How important for longevity?

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear Humble.

By reading the manual you will find that (diluted) working solutions will keep worse than the concentrates…
    So do not mix the whole 5 liter unless you need them in foreseenable time / do better a part mix.
    If using seldom it may be beneficial to divide the developer concentrates into fractions and store it in smaller airtight PET bottles, exclude air and keep the concentrates cool (about 5°C, do not freeze!) If doing so, divide the fixer too (the clear BX part), the bleach (BX part 1, the red one) does not need such attention…

The mentioned protectan was indented to displace oxygen/air over the liquid in the bottles (originally a Freon mixture). It can be substituted by butane gas if you keep in mind that this is highly flammable…

Regards Stefan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I mix as needed. But I use precision graduates and pipettes (lab A grade).

The Tetenal preserving spary is Protectan, a mix on butane, propane and isobutane. You can use lighter gas instead (much cheaper).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan4u View Post
    Dear Humble.

By reading the manual you will find that (diluted) working solutions will keep worse than the concentrates…
    So do not mix the whole 5 liter unless you need them in foreseenable time / do better a part mix.
    If using seldom it may be beneficial to divide the developer concentrates into fractions and store it in smaller airtight PET bottles, exclude air and keep the concentrates cool (about 5°C, do not freeze!) If doing so, divide the fixer too (the clear BX part), the bleach (BX part 1, the red one) does not need such attention…

The mentioned protectan was indented to displace oxygen/air over the liquid in the bottles (originally a Freon mixture). It can be substituted by butane gas if you keep in mind that this is highly flammable…

Regards Stefan
    Thanks Stefan,

Assuming I do as you suggest: divide & keep cool, how long will it keep in this state?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin