Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,706   Posts: 1,482,851   Online: 1019

Shooter
    Multi Format

E-6 Film Curling ?

Hi, I am processing my own slide film (Provia 100F) in my Jobo processor. I am processing 35mm, 120, and 4x5 sheets. The most troublesome from a curling standpoint is the 35mm, but I am getting curl in my 120 and oddly enough a little bit in my 4x5 sheets. The 120 roll film and 4x5 is manageable, but the 35mm is really an issue. When I used to send the 35mm and 120 out to my local lab, it always came back very flat.

Any ideas when self-processing, how to address this curling issue with the E-6 roll film? I only shoot Provia 100F, so I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but wanted to mention that just in case. I am using the Arista 3 Bath Kit which is processed at 105F/45C which is 5 degrees warmer than the traditional E-6 kits, so I am wondering if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks in advance for any tips or insights.

Shooter
    35mm
    First, I would recommend you switch to the tetenal kit. Much better results, and you get a stabilizer final rinse that also eliminates water spots.
    That said, temperature plays a big roll in the curling. Kodak had guidelines on this on their site. Anyways, you want the film to be final rinsed in the stabilizer at room temperature. Ank keep the room temp around 70 when drying. I hang my 35mm with a clothespin hanging on the bottom to act as a weight. After it is dry, I roll in around a tube, opposite to the way it was in the canister. That is, with the emulsion side facing outward. 1 day like this eliminates both length and width curling. Same for 120. Hope that helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. I do have a tetenal kit on hand and was going to try that this weekend. I honestly had no issue with the Arista kit except for the curling.

Thanks for the tips and I will definitely give them a try on my next run.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin