Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,685   Online: 857

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Color processing bleach

Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    OK, thanks. I remember him not liking it on film, now that you mention it. But I figured it stands to reason... But some other guy on here claimed it gave yellow borders and dingy tones. The last RA4 I bought was Fuji Xtal Archive paper, and whatever house brand of chemistry at Freestyle at the time. It's been a couple years now. But in just those same few years, film and chemistry in general has slowed to a trickle. It's really getting tight out there. And I still have 25 more years to live. Wonder which will kick the bucket first--me or film.
    No one claimed yellow borders and dingy tones just from blix - combined bleach-fix. Two of us got such results specifically from the Tetanal RA4AT kit that uses single part concentrates. That was the problem - one big bottle of hard to mix concentrate apparently makes a bad blix, or a bad developer, or maybe both. Regular kits that mix the blix from separate components work fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

You can look at it this way. A Blix is a mixture of an oxidant and a reductant. They do not like each other. It is walking a knife edge to balance these chemicals so that they do not rapidly self destruct. There are knobs to turn to extend the lifetime, and through replenishment, the solutions can appear to last forever due to turnover. But, they should never be shipped as a single part because they go bad on the shelf! That is why they ship as a part A AND PART B.

Now, as for developers, well, we live in an oxidizing and acidic environment. A developer is a basic solution of a reducing agent (or agents). The ingredients should be stored apart and in sealed bottle up to the last minute and then they can be mixed. Now, a B&W developer can be made up in a single part in an organic solvent (like TEA in HC110), but a color developer is harder, much harder to prepare that way. I've dreamed of ways to do it, but it is beyond my means at the present time.

So, be content with bleaches and fixes for film, and blixes for paper, and enjoy parts A, B and C for color developers.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    . . . Polaroid won the patent case with a female judge . . .
    Just wondering what the sex organs of the judge had to do with the case?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, she certainly did not know or understand any of the chemistry related points brought up in the trial.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why didn't Kodak appeal to the next higher court? I am sure there were good reasons, just wondering.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure, but I think that they did appeal and it was turned down. Someone else would have to verify this.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format

Color processing bleach

You can't win an appeal just because you think the decision stinks. There have to be other grounds like legal procedures or disallowed evidence that shouldn't have been or allowed evidence that shouldn't have been. "Judge was chemically ignorant" is not sufficient.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 04-14-2013 at 05:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and why bother worrying about blix in C41? Just buy the flexicolor product which is easily the best anyway, and be done with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Color processing bleach

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    and why bother worrying about blix in C41? Just buy the flexicolor product which is easily the best anyway, and be done with it.
    Because apparently no one sells that direct to consumers any more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought 2 gallons of bleach III at our local store about 2 years ago. They were under $50 for both. The store is now gone.

PE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin