Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,712   Online: 802

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is BLIX all there is now? (in USA)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaisenbrey View Post
    In Europe the Rollei kit and its components seem to be still available:

http://www.macodirect.de/digibase-si...4_534_405.html

(that’s actually the online-shop of the producer of Rollei films and chemistry)

But of cause the shipping costs are quite high for the US.

Perhaps if many people ask them for a reseller in the US……

Chris
    What confuses me is, they say the E-6 kit on the site does 40 rolls, but is that 40 rolls as a ONE SHOT?

So if you reuse it extending the first developer times, it would increase the usable roll's developed?

Am I wrong? It ends up being about $160 with the shipping and I'm not sure about what "VAT" means but I assume that's some kind of pollution charge which puts the price at a total of $185 (roughly) to order one kit to the US.

So if you buy an Arista kit that does 20+ rolls of E-6 for $35 why spend so much more for a 5L 6 bath kit unless I can get significantly more than 40 rolls out of it?

also I thought the reason the Arista kit doesn't come with stabilizer was it was in the blix or something? Does this mean I have to re-wash everything in a stabilizer or I'll loose my film? Or is stabilizer only for C-41? I've asked this before but now that I have more understanding of it all, I'm asking again.

I also thought the color bleach and fix (both E-6 and C-41) were done to exhaustion so you can just leave them in a bit longer to be sure?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    ...I have been using the same 5L batch with regeneration for at least 2 years and it's still fine....
    Is regeneration different than replenisher? If so what's the process? Thanks!

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    VAT is a value added (sales) tax - as I understand it VAT shouldn't be charged on purchases that are from out of the EU.

Canadian GST or (in the provinces who use it) HST is a form of value added tax.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    The replenisher should not be used by itself to develop film. It must be mixed with water and starter to make a developer working solution as per directions.
    I don't know about film and C41, but paper can be developed just fine using just the RA4 replinisher.

Ok, diluted with water of course. Anyone who didn't already know that doesn't have any business jumping into color. Or black and white for that matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Is regeneration different than replenisher? If so what's the process? Thanks!
    Yes, they are different.

Briefly: you process in what is called a "tank solution." During the processing, the tank solution becomes "used up," in some manner. To counteract this, you can add quantities of an extra-strength solution, called "replenisher." These additions allow the tank solution to remain at its normal operating strength.

The addition of replenisher tends to produce a surplus of solution in the processing tanks. Normally, this surplus would be considered as waste. However, it is sometimes possible to collect this surplus then add a "regenerator" mix which converts it back into a replenisher. (I know it seems confusing.)

Nowdays, the only things worth regenerating are probably bleach and, for paper, bleach-fix. In the case of bleach-fix, it's necessary to desilver it first, then aerate prior to regenerating.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Yes, they are different.

Briefly: you process in what is called a "tank solution." During the processing, the tank solution becomes "used up," in some manner. To counteract this, you can add quantities of an extra-strength solution, called "replenisher." These additions allow the tank solution to remain at its normal operating strength.

The addition of replenisher tends to produce a surplus of solution in the processing tanks. Normally, this surplus would be considered as waste. However, it is sometimes possible to collect this surplus then add a "regenerator" mix which converts it back into a replenisher. (I know it seems confusing.)

Nowdays, the only things worth regenerating are probably bleach and, for paper, bleach-fix. In the case of bleach-fix, it's necessary to desilver it first, then aerate prior to regenerating.
    Sounds like you have a much more elaborate setup than I and my kitchen sink.... :/

~Stone

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I don't know about film and C41, but paper can be developed just fine using just the RA4 replinisher.

Ok, diluted with water of course. Anyone who didn't already know that doesn't have any business jumping into color. Or black and white for that matter.
    C-41 is much more sensitive to process changes than RA-4, and the starter must be added to the replenisher for proper results when making a developer working solution.

When I said it must be mixed with water, I meant water must be added to the already mixed replenisher to dilute it, along with the starter. Of course, you could just mix a working solution directly from starter, water, and the replenisher's components, using the right amounts of each.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Sounds like you have a much more elaborate setup than I and my kitchen sink.... :/
    Nah, I don't even process color myself. But about half my adult working life has been involved with photofinishing, on an "industrial level." So I'm intimately familiar with this sort of thing for color neg/printing. The same exact things will work in your kitchen sink, except that the hassle might outweigh the cost savings. That, and your ability to get the chemicals you need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The VAT (value added tax) is the German sales tax. I’m not so sure if they deduce this when they deliver to private persons outside the EU. Note that you might have to pay US customs and sales taxes. So the best would be to find a reseller in the US. Perhaps a reseller of Rollei films delivers it on request.

I like the Rollei digibase C41 kit, since it allows me to work at 25°C. I’m not so sure if it is a good idea to use large scale chemistry with replenisher and starter if you are developing a film from time to time.

If it is just the bleach and the fix bath it might be easier to brew them yourself. I found here some formulas on a Swiss homepage:

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/pho..._chemicals.htm

At the end of the text there is a formula for separated bleach and fix.

Chris

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaisenbrey View Post
    http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/pho..._chemicals.htm

At the end of the text there is a formula for separated bleach and fix.
    Ron's C-41 bleach formula seems too good to be true. Is that all it takes is two ingredients -- 80g of potassium ferricyanide and 20g potassium bromide (for one liter)?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin