Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,987   Posts: 1,524,041   Online: 959
      
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    15,951
    if you do SEND OUT to fuji labs, instead of having your film processed in the store
    i was told by fuji .. they return your 120 film. it is forwarded to dwaynes in kansas
    as a special order ... if it is 35mm b/w same thing ... the only thing walmart won't return
    ( according to fuji ) is 35mm c41 ...
    if you bring your film to a RITE AID drug store, you can refuse the prints at the time of pick-up
    and only have your film processed there .. fuji told me THEY RETURN all film at RITE AID ...

    if this isn't what is actually happening at the stores .. call fuji labs and find out what is going on ..
    im empty, good luck

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    if you do SEND OUT to fuji labs, instead of having your film processed in the store
    i was told by fuji .. they return your 120 film. it is forwarded to dwaynes in kansas
    as a special order ... if it is 35mm b/w same thing ... the only thing walmart won't return
    ( according to fuji ) is 35mm c41 ...
    I confirmed this. They return films except 135 C-41. I sent out through Walmart in mid-Feb. this year 120 C-41 & E6, and 135 BW & E6. Not a problem. The envelops said they won't return negatives. But again, that only applies to 135 C-41.

    And the price I got (as of Feb./March this year) was so great as quoted on the Web: $4.88/$6.88 for 120/135 E6, <$2 for 120 C-41 plus prints.

    So if someone has more recent experience (than OP's), please kindly update.

  3. #13
    wildbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,376
    Images
    140
    So, the company that helped shut down the pro labs is now charging more than the pro labs that no longer exist? I feel so sorry for you guys.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

    I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    So, the company that helped shut down the pro labs is now charging more than the pro labs that no longer exist? I feel so sorry for you guys.
    Back in the hey days of films when many pro labs thrived, the pro labs were not hurt by Walmart at all. Otherwise they would have disappeared much sooner. Pro labs and Walmart/cheap minilabs serve different market segments. The demise of pro labs is because most pros now shoot with "film-less" cameras.

  5. #15
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,250
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    435
    Well, here in DC, Calumet Photo (nee Penn Camera) still has same-day/next-day minilab processing for 120 - I can get a roll of 120 C-41 processed for $5 and change, about $6 with tax. My local pro lab charges $8/roll, and I get it back in 3-4 days if I'm lucky. Guess who I'm using?

  6. #16
    Two23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    South Dakota
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by philosli View Post
    Back in the hey days of films when many pro labs thrived, the pro labs were not hurt by Walmart at all. Otherwise they would have disappeared much sooner. Pro labs and Walmart/cheap minilabs serve different market segments. The demise of pro labs is because most pros now shoot with "film-less" cameras.

    Exactly. I once worked for Fuji TruColor, the place that mass processed film for Walmarts and many grocery stores etc. It was an entirely different crowd that took film to a pro lab rather than a retail chain. I am lucky in that I still have a local photo store that processes 35mm and 120. They get their share of business from me! I just picked up a roll of HP5 that I ran through my Leica IIIc.


    Kent in SD

  7. #17
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,046
    Images
    223

    Walmart Medium Format *Fake* Price List

    But Walmart sends its stuff to Dwayne's ... So, it's not crappy at all and is probably better than the local lab in consistency and quality. My local lab doesn't even do one hour photos anymore because they only run film every few days when they get enough in to make it worth processing.


    ~Stone

    Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Well, here in DC, Calumet Photo (nee Penn Camera) still has same-day/next-day minilab processing for 120 - I can get a roll of 120 C-41 processed for $5 and change, about $6 with tax. My local pro lab charges $8/roll, and I get it back in 3-4 days if I'm lucky. Guess who I'm using?
    That is great price!! My local pro lab charges twice more. Although their E6 is great, their 135 C-41 processing is so so. At $8 per roll, I got the same level of quality of the Target nearby, which no longer processed C-41 films...sigh.

  9. #19
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,046
    Images
    223

    Walmart Medium Format *Fake* Price List

    Quote Originally Posted by philosli View Post
    That is great price!! My local pro lab charges twice more. Although their E6 is great, their 135 C-41 processing is so so. At $8 per roll, I got the same level of quality of the Target nearby, which no longer processed C-41 films...sigh.
    Yea but if we could find a lab to process E-6 at .88&#162; per 120 roll like some people claim, we could shoot TWICE as many rolls and still come out ahead, it would be wonderful!


    ~Stone

    Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    It seems to me that some people are spending too much energy trying to transform Wal-Mart into a custom photo lab. Film, my friends, is out of the mainstream -- the parade's gone by for it. One needs to adjust to the realities of the cold, cruel wrold.
    Who in this thread is "trying to transform Wal-Mart?" Wal-Mart is what it is. Even if any one of use wanted to "transform" the largest retailer in the world I don't think even collectively we have the knowledge nor resources to accomplish such a task.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    So, the company that helped shut down the pro labs is now charging more than the pro labs that no longer exist? I feel so sorry for you guys.
    Did you run a pro lab or speak to the owner of a pro lab recently? My local pro shop owner told me a very different story. He points the finger directly at digital. He never mentioned Walmart. As far as I know send out services of all kinds have existed my entire lifetime. For most of their existence they coexisted quite happily with pro labs. I frankly use both. If a pro uses Walmart for their film developing they deserve to go out of business. That would be insane. I can't imagine anyone that values their professional reputation doing that.

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yea but if we could find a lab to process E-6 at .88¢ per 120 roll like some people claim, we could shoot TWICE as many rolls and still come out ahead, it would be wonderful!
    I've never seen anyone on this forum make such a claim. Please post a link to the source of this claim so we can get in on that deal. The cheapest I've found is $4.88 (plus tax) for 220 roll of E-6. Sadly I can no longer obtain 220 rolls of E-6 at reasonable prices so the best I can muster at the moment is $4.88 (plus tax) roll for 120 E-6.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin