Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,749   Online: 806

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Walmart Medium Format *Fake* Price List

Quote Originally Posted by philosli View Post
    Yes, they do. I did 120 C-41 through Walmart sendout several times (as late as mid. Feb. this year).
    Ok just going by the label on the send out envelope, freaks me out lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    You Jobo because prices might go up?! Isn't a new Jobo $3,000?!
    Getting a used Jobo machine (1000-1500$ with tanks/shipping, sometimes much less), and bulk chemicals, makes it pay for it self after the first 100 rolls or less.
    After that, costs are under 1$ for C-41, 1-2$ for E-6 (depending on material) and 0.01-1$ for BW.

The only thing not calculated here, is the time you spend processing your own rolls, but the fun ans fulfillment factors balance that out.

There is no wait, you can have same day service, and not have to pay extra to push or pull your films
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=StoneNYC;1485379 That's it... NEVER have them scan images or print film ... they are just awful at it...
    .[/QUOTE]

I do not know about you but I use Dwaynes to develop my Kodak Portra 135 and get a CD with processing. It is ALWAYS good. They only charge $2.99 for the CD and it is higher resolution (2000 x 3000) than most labs give you unless you pay a lot more for the upgrade to high resolution scan.

I have used them to scan slides but I did not think they came out too good. Perhaps it is just the fact I use Kodak Portra that scans better.

A thing I never understood is why labs mostly give out such low resolutions scans on their basic CD. They are most often 1000 x 1500 and the lab calls them 4.5 MP scans. They are 4.5 when open in Photoshop but I would call then 1.5 MP scans. It is nice the Dwaynes gives you the higher resolution scan for a nice low price.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    I do not know about you but I use Dwaynes to develop my Kodak Portra 135 and get a CD with processing. It is ALWAYS good. They only charge $2.99 for the CD and it is higher resolution (2000 x 3000) than most labs give you unless you pay a lot more for the upgrade to high resolution scan.

I have used them to scan slides but I did not think they came out too good. Perhaps it is just the fact I use Kodak Portra that scans better.

A thing I never understood is why labs mostly give out such low resolutions scans on their basic CD. They are most often 1000 x 1500 and the lab calls them 4.5 MP scans. They are 4.5 when open in Photoshop but I would call then 1.5 MP scans. It is nice the Dwaynes gives you the higher resolution scan for a nice low price.
    They must have improved, my only scans from them are Kodachrome and they were a total disservice to that film,

Perhaps the machine they use for C-41 is newer or they've upgraded

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    They must have improved, my only scans from them are Kodachrome and they were a total disservice to that film,

Perhaps the machine they use for C-41 is newer or they've upgraded
    I agree... the main reason I started developing & scanning my own film was because I was dissatisfied with the scans of E6 i was getting back from Dwayne's.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just a random shot from my last roll. Right from the CD, no work on my part. Even with all that snow and overcast sky the scan is perfect.
    Kodak Portra 400 by Dwanynes

I only had them do one roll of E6 film and did not like the results. I have a Dimage Scan Dual IV but hate to spend my time doing scans. It is so much easier to have the lab do it. For C41 I like the lab results, for E6 I have to put it the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Test 01.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well here's one example... I am still looking for the one I found that said .88 cents but he literally posted his receipt image so it wasn't even made up .... but here's another one that's close... (EDIT at sams club) last post...

http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00ZofQ

Oh here... this APUG guy said .84 cents...

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i.../t-114716.html

Who knows... its certainly not my walmart.... lol
    I checked out your links. I didn't see anyone say 88¢ or 84¢ for E-6 and certainly not at Walmart. The Sam's club thing you are referencing is not a send out service... in my experience. I of course can't canvas all the Sam's Clubs in the country but the few I have checked out either don't develop film or only do 35mm C-41 in house. And none of them did anything for less than a $1. It was more in the $1.50 range for developing only. If your local Sam's Club is competent it actually isn't a bad way to go, but they do NOT do E-6 of any kind at any price... In my experience.

The problem is you misinterpreted what various people across the internet were saying and then made a statement about 88¢ E-6. Now someone else is going to see your post and go on a wild goose chase looking for something that, in my experience, does not exist. What I did once I started really feeling the hurt from rising film prices was google like crazy and then make a list of local places to research on my own. I called all the Targets in my area but they had all gotten out of the photo processing business. Walgreens was to pricy. And eventually I crossed my fingers and dropped a roll of 120 C-41 and E-6 into the Walmart send out bin. Some time later I gave the Sam's Club in store processing a whirl. I don't do much 35mm C-41 so I am not always 100% up to date with changes in that world.

I read about a number of sweet deals from unlikely sources on the internet. I don't think in the places I've lived I've been able to replicate most of them. Most of the time whatever retailer had the deal was not processing film where I lived. You just have to be unconventional and keep looking. There very well may be no deals in your area. But you will never know unless you try. At $5.19 a roll for 120 Provia how much are you risking really? Nothing ventured. Nothing gained.

Ok just going by the label on the send out envelope, freaks me out lol
    Normal reaction. I had been using the service for YEARS when the "negatives not returned" label suddently appeared. I won't lie to you. My hand trembled a bit when I dropped the envelope into the kiosk the first time. Everything worked just as before and subsequently others started popping up on the internet saying all was well... or at least the same for everything other than 35mm C-41.

Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Getting a used Jobo machine (1000-1500$ with tanks/shipping, sometimes much less), and bulk chemicals, makes it pay for it self after the first 100 rolls or less.
    After that, costs are under 1$ for C-41, 1-2$ for E-6 (depending on material) and 0.01-1$ for BW.
    How? Walmart E-6 for 220 is $4.88 (plus tax). A Jobo would have to cost about $500 and use free chemicals and electricity to pay for itself in 100 rolls. And if you use it for C-41 it would have to cost about $100 dollars... with free chemicals and electricity.

Don't get me wrong. Jobo machines look sweet! I would love to have one if I had the money and the space. There are a few problems though. One is I already do my own B&W so there is no savings for me in that regard. Also my volume of C-41 and E-6 just isn't enough. I'm glad they came out with a new machine. I just don't have the money to support every manufacturer and developer in the industry. I'm already getting 84₵ C-41 and my two rolls a month of E-6 just can't justify such a protracted break even time horizon. Another big problem is I sometimes I like to get my really nice rolls scanned by NCPS. If they don't develop your film they increase the cost of scanning by 50%! The current state of the film market never ceases to amaze me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    The problem is you misinterpreted what various people across the internet were saying and then made a statement about 88¢ E-6. Now someone else is going to see your post and go on a wild goose chase looking for something that, in my experience, does not exist....
    Literally the first paragraph of the second link mentions c-41 at 84 cents, I must have misread in my search for the post I had seen a while back.

Just because I can't find it doesn't mean it wasn't out there.

Anyway, I pay $4.50 for C-41 120 so $1 for them would B&W awesome regardless.

I hate C-41 but that price is hard to pass up.

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate C-41 but that price is hard to pass up.
    Yeah, I'm not crazy. If it was only a $1 or even a $2 difference there is no way I would soil my shoes by walking into Walmart. But in these economic times I just can't justify routinely paying over five tiimes the price for developing 120/220 C-41. On special occasions absolutely, but at this point something has to give. I was shooting Fuji Acros for less than $3 a roll last year. Now it's gotten so expensive I decided to support the domestic film manufacturer and have switched exclusively to Kodak at $4.08 a roll. And it turns out that was some kind of short lived special at my usual source. I will pay more and support the local guy but when things get extreme I've got to quit running a charity.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyway, I pay $4.50 for C-41 120 so $1 for them would B&W awesome regardless.

Anyway, $4.50 for C-41 120 is not bad either, in particular if Walmart/Fuji sendout service does hike the price.

So where do you get the price? Thanks!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin