Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,909   Online: 932

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Walmart Medium Format *Fake* Price List

Quote Originally Posted by philosli View Post
    Anyway, $4.50 for C-41 120 is not bad either, in particular if Walmart/Fuji sendout service does hike the price.

So where do you get the price? Thanks!
    I tried Walmart and the Rite-Aid across the street, both are Fuji envelopes and both go to Dwayne's and both are the same price :/

What bugs me is the color chemistry for C-41 and E-6 (home kits) seem to be relatively similar, so why is E-6 so much more :/

And the perception that $4 is cheap per roll is silly to me because I develop B&W at home and pay 26¢ per roll for that... Yea 26 CENTS for a developer that is a one shot.

Color chemistry should not be that much more expensive ...

If I used color as one shot it would be $18 a roll... But it's reusable, so I get $1.80/roll if I only do 20 rolls, I can probably do 30 safely with a 1 liter batch. AND I use the cheap Artista stuff not the more expensive Tentenal

My point is the chemistry involved can't cost that much more to mix up than the B&W stuff, they just made color more expensive back in the day because it was new and never adjusted the prices once it became common.

That's opinion by the way, the last part. But I can't imagine that the chemicals cost so much more to produce.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Getting a used Jobo machine (1000-1500$ with tanks/shipping, sometimes much less), and bulk chemicals, makes it pay for it self after the first 100 rolls or less.
    After that, costs are under 1$ for C-41, 1-2$ for E-6 (depending on material) and 0.01-1$ for BW.

The only thing not calculated here, is the time you spend processing your own rolls, but the fun ans fulfillment factors balance that out.

There is no wait, you can have same day service, and not have to pay extra to push or pull your films

Well, CatLABS answered it all for me :LOL:

I Jobo because even *before* these possible price increases, it was by far the cheapest way to develop E6 (which is what I shoot 80% of the time).

In fact I was given boxes of E6 chemicals (replenishers, starters, etc.) from a lab up in New Hampshire that went digital a couple years ago for FREE. So ever since them, my per roll developing costs for E6 has been right around $0. I know, not a typical scenario, but still.

Also, I think the biggest reward is not having to wait for the film to return. That was really the most painful thing about shipping film off to Dwayne's... the 2-week or so turnaround

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    Well, CatLABS answered it all for me :LOL:

I Jobo because even *before* these possible price increases, it was by far the cheapest way to develop E6 (which is what I shoot 80% of the time).

In fact I was given boxes of E6 chemicals (replenishers, starters, etc.) from a lab up in New Hampshire that went digital a couple years ago for FREE. So ever since them, my per roll developing costs for E6 has been right around $0. I know, not a typical scenario, but still.

Also, I think the biggest reward is not having to wait for the film to return. That was really the most painful thing about shipping film off to Dwayne's... the 2-week or so turnaround
    I've never seen any of those machines how big are they and is the $1,000 new or used price?

How often do you process? Do you sometimes do just one roll or save up till you have a certain number of rolls. I'm completely new to any kind of home machine so "speak" slowly... Lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I've never seen any of those machines how big are they and is the $1,000 new or used price?

How often do you process? Do you sometimes do just one roll or save up till you have a certain number of rolls. I'm completely new to any kind of home machine so "speak" slowly... Lol

The bigger ones are pretty big, but the CPP2 I use can be placed on my kitchen counter:

http://pics.lockerz.com/s/256492436

1,000 will get you a CPP2 in good condition if you can shop around. And yes sometimes I'll do just one roll using 240ml of chemicals, but since I can reliably develop 4 rolls of 120 with that much chemicals, I usually save up. Which never takes too long for me

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I have a CPE2, which I believe to be the same size as a CPP2. It is about the same size as two toaster ovens set end to end.

Oh, whatever, there is a tape measure on the bookcase. It is roughly 26"x12" and the main body is 8" tall, the lift end gets to 17".

I got mine as a "do you want that too" in a craig's list buy. Also got a drymount press. It was a happy dance day.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Cool thanks guys, hmmm, something to think about, sadly I don't have any space and already get grief about my two boxes with chemistry and tanks on the basement

~Stone

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DLawson View Post
    I have a CPE2, which I believe to be the same size as a CPP2.
    The CPE2 is about half the size of the CPP2.

We have an informational article about the different Jobo processors here:
    http://www.catlabs.info/how-to-choos...jobo-processor

You can get in at way under a 1000$ including everything you need, and chemistry to last a LONG time and MANY rolls.

Another great thing about Jobo (or all home processing) is that you can ran as little as one roll with no waste of chemistry, or run 10 rolls at once to save time.

Champion chemistry (C-41 only at this time), though sold in bulk only, has a cost of under 50 cents per roll when used as one shot, and will do more as a replenished system.

C-41 chemistry is historically cheaper then E-6, mostly because of the historical demand and market share, though the price difference used to be fairly small or un-noticeable, once pro photographers stopped shooting film (most shot E-6) that marker shrank much faster then the less pro oriented market of C-41 negatives, causing a larger price discrepancy.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    The CPE2 is about half the size of the CPP2.

We have an informational article about the different Jobo processors here:
    http://www.catlabs.info/how-to-choos...jobo-processor

You can get in at way under a 1000$ including everything you need, and chemistry to last a LONG time and MANY rolls.

Another great thing about Jobo (or all home processing) is that you can ran as little as one roll with no waste of chemistry, or run 10 rolls at once to save time.

Champion chemistry (C-41 only at this time), though sold in bulk only, has a cost of under 50 cents per roll when used as one shot, and will do more as a replenished system.

C-41 chemistry is historically cheaper then E-6, mostly because of the historical demand and market share, though the price difference used to be fairly small or un-noticeable, once pro photographers stopped shooting film (most shot E-6) that marker shrank much faster then the less pro oriented market of C-41 negatives, causing a larger price discrepancy.
    Oh that makes sense.

Well right now I have $30 in my bank account living paycheck to paycheck (hoping my check comes Monday and not Thursday) so even "under $1000" seems like a lot but I recognize how cheap that is. Man, I'm drooling at your price calculations. Wish I had the scratch or something I don't want I could trade for...

~Stone

Shooter
    127 Format
    Don't need no Jobo. Hot water in the sink basin and a plastic tank will do just fine.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Don't need no Jobo. Hot water in the sink basin and a plastic tank will do just fine.
    You obviously didn't actually read the thread and just wanted to chime in... It's about cost savings of having to run 30 rolls in a day by hand because that's the only way to not lose money from the $35 re-usable e-6 home kits, otherwise if you only do a few rolls, the stuff goes bad... You missed that point obviously.

~Stone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin