Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,350   Online: 942

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ECN process with the green base makes for difficult and goofy color prints and grainy B&W prints. B&W develop & fix results in heavy base fog. I was curious and tried the mixed and separate developing and was surprised at the results. The B&W (almost no color) negatives print well on B&W paper, like B&W film should. The color result has significant grain when printed on B&W paper. I don't want to toss the film, just trying to make good use of it and in the process got one result that I expected, (color) and in the other, almost no color but with a useful B&W image where there should not be any.

Both of these results were exposed at full rated speed of iso 500, plus I have very wide exposure latitude, from 32 to 6400 (on the camera dial) on the same roll with acceptable negatives. Green as they are, they print like Illford XP1.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    ECN process with the green base makes for difficult and goofy color prints and grainy B&W prints. B&W develop & fix results in heavy base fog.
    I think the problem is your very expired film stock. I use film (Kodak Vision, Fuji Eterna), not older than 5 years and there is no grain, no fog and no color cast.
    But if your process works for you, it is okay.
    On the other side, ECN-2 film stock is mostly offered so cheap that it is not worth to use bad film.

Joachim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Reala 500D does not have a green base - it's orange like other films. It could be that something has affected the film, or it could be your ECN-2 processing. Reala 500D was introduced in 2001 and discontinued in 2011, if that is what you have it might not be that old, but who knows how it was kept.

I had a long thread on here a while back about ECN2 processing that might be helpful. I did find that certain tweaks to the formula helped me with small tank processing.

Hawthorn Oz, then MI USA from March 14, 2015!
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My thought on the green base, if your process is hinting at a reversal process the base would go green.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For what it's worth, here's one of my test shots on the Reala 500D that I have, developed ECN-2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reala-500D-6a.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format

ECN film

7 years ago when I got this film it did have an orange base and printed well, but in the move to SD it was boxed and recently re-discovered. The garage can get very warm out here and 110 deg is not uncommon. I'm sure I killed the film, but I just hate to throw almost 400' of it away. If I can use it as B&W or Lomo Color, I consider it salvageable. Perhaps in Germany, ECN is cheap, but I have not seen 35mm anything at 7 cents a foot or less in a very long time.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Hawthorn Oz, then MI USA from March 14, 2015!
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    7 years ago when I got this film it did have an orange base and printed well, but in the move to SD it was boxed and recently re-discovered. The garage can get very warm out here and 110 deg is not uncommon. I'm sure I killed the film, but I just hate to throw almost 400' of it away. If I can use it as B&W or Lomo Color, I consider it salvageable. Perhaps in Germany, ECN is cheap, but I have not seen 35mm anything at 7 cents a foot or less in a very long time.
    I use old ECN2 film for B&W reversal. Will post my results in the technical gallery over the weekend. But I have to admit my film while stored in a shed it does not see north of 102degF. But has seen 4 warm summers and is still good.

It also develops as a good negative image when developed in Caffenol.

Don't throw it away!
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin