Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,155   Online: 799

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In my own experience from developing myself in Flexicolor, Portra 400 can work well at 1600, and pushing beats underexposing with no push imho.

I almost never underexpose my Portra, because I mainly use it for portraits. It excels @ box speed and @ 320 in this regard with normal processing.

Portra 160 did handle underexposure well (1-2 stops) without pushing as well... it was from when I was excited to shoot it as it had just become available and the light had faded too much for normal exposure.

Invest in a tripod if it's a problem.

Underxposure and pushing is useable, but make it your last resort after exhausting every other option.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In photo school, 16 years internet forum education and personal experience has taught me one thing: that color negative film does not like AT ALL to be underexposed - no matter how much later you "push" it.

For your assignment on hand (very low level light), shoot digital.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Having done both with and without pushing on Portra 160 and 400, I disagree.

It also works well on Portra 800, and is the designated C-41 push film from Kodak.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    In photo school, 16 years internet forum education and personal experience has taught me one thing: that color negative film does not like AT ALL to be underexposed - no matter how much later you "push" it.

For your assignment on hand (very low level light), shoot digital.
    You might of learned it back then but they did not have the new portra 400 back the then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    cjbecker, Regardless of the film in question, as exposure is reduced, detail is lost. The new Portra is really good but Kodak hasn't found a way to manipulate the laws of physics.

At a certain point reducing exposure will start affecting the print we expect, period.

Where that point is for each of us may vary. I'd hazard a guess that you, Andre, Athiril, and I have different photographic sensibilities and expectations.

In the absence of testing for oneself deviating from box speed is a real gamble.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I do shoot portra 400 I normally shoot it at 250, as that's where it looks best to me. But If I'm in a situation were I have to get the picture I will shoot portra 400 up to 3200. I know I'm going to be loosing detail, colors and adding grain, but getting the picture is better then no picture at all. And I have done this on paying jobs where it was dark and flashes where not allowed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shoot Portra 800 at 1600, process normally [or push one stop] and let the latitude of the film handle it for you.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin