Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,551   Posts: 1,544,904   Online: 923

Thread: Foma Equicolor

Shooter
    35mm

Foma Equicolor

Out of boredom I was browsing the web today and came across some Foma Equicolor premium 400. It seems to be a relatively obscure and rare offering from Foma. Has anyone tried it? I was thinking about seeing if I could get some, but I want to hear from other users first.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rebranded film for the Czech market.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it is film of current production: there are only three manufacturers of classic colour film left, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak.

I just realized that film branded "Foma Equicolor" is at least about ten years on the market.

Isn't "Equicolor" the most suited name for rebranded colour film?
    Last edited by AgX; 04-22-2013 at 07:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    It seems to be film that is in production and marketed. Judging from the color scheme, it looks like Fuji. I was excited too, it looked like there was another color film that could be tried.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can get this film from a far-east seller on ebay. Out of curiosity I bought three rolls recently but haven't used any yet. The packaging says "Made in Czech Republic" but from the little I can find out on the web about it, the original manufacturer appears to be Fuji. It is probably the case that Forma buy/bought master-rolls from Fuji and did the final finishing/packaging in their own factory. Although the box colours look a lot like Superia 400, the box itself is different from the type used by Fuji, as is the film canister. This being black compared to the semi-opaque type used by Fuji. Foma's batch number is 0004 and the expiry date is 6/2014.

Shooter
    35mm
    I also let me curiosity lead me to buy a couple of rolls. The film came in a cardborad box marked made in the Czech republic in english. It is in the same cassettes that foma has been using lately for their Fomapan 400, which are also the cassettes that Ferania used to use for their colour films. The can was also like the Ferania Cans. (Foma B&W was shipped in those for quite a while, but the last batch I received was back to the style they used to use)

Compairing the leader to the leader on Fomapan 400, it is a different shape with rounded corners.

I dug a roll of Arista Color out of the freezer and thawed it. The arista colour was Ferania/imation.

the equicolor leader matches in both shape and colour to the ferania. I did not have a roll of Fuji handy to see what the colour of that leader compairs.

Both colour films and the Fomapan 400 have the SAME DX bar code. (pelling the Foma B&W label does show C-41 by the way - hopefully the remaining photo-finishers are not automated enough to run it in C-41)

It will be a while until I get to use a roll, and have it processed So I can compare the edge print. If nothing else those who collect film packages have an interesting one ot look at
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    For those folk interested in such matters, here are some pics:-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foma Equicolor Premium 400 pic 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	71238

Name:	Foma Equicolor Premium 400 pic 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	71239

Name:	Foma Equicolor Premium 400 pic 3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	71237

I would now agree that this film was almost certainly made by Ferrania, probably loaded into cassettes in their factory but put in a box by Foma (the box is slightly smaller than a Ferrania box). The tubs and the cassettes seem the same (I compared with a Ferrania Solaris 400 cassette with a 04/2012 expiry), the look & colours of the leaders are identical and both, for what it is worth, have the number 013994 below the barcode (identical on both brands) on the cassette. Possibly Fuji were at one time the supplier which is why the few references on the web claim this.

Shooter
    35mm
    Showing how little colour film I actually use, I finaly got my test roll of Equicolor back. I had dug out a roll of Arista color also and both were sent to Dwayne's. the edge marks on both are the same other than a different batch number. And both equally grainy.

As to why Foma was selling private label ferania, that is a mystery. Maybe as they were using ferania colour cassettes for their own production they bought the film as part of a package deal to get the empty cassettes and quietly sold it off on asian markets.

Any case not likely to result in continuing supplies.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin