Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,749   Online: 856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

What do you think of these colors? Kodak Porta 160, Tetenal C41 kit

This is about my 5th or 6th roll of color... Seems to be a purple cast in the hair. Overall, how do the colors "look" to you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8670215541_46a5e89022_b.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	275.6 KB 
ID:	67638

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like the verticals are listing towards port, however the color looks good. The purple cast could be from the scanner or the enlarger.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thanks :-) Yes, leaning towards port was intentional. Ok, actually the real reason it's leaning is I was rushed and being not totally competent with my Bronica waist level finder.. You know that left being right and right being left thing. Either that or he was leaning and I was trying to make him vertical. Either way I have an excuse ready to go...

Thanks,
    Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    It looks like the verticals are listing towards port, however the color looks good. The purple cast could be from the scanner or the enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks to me like the subject is being illuminated by multiple light sources, and some of the light from above is a bit blue.

Nothing particularly unusual about that.

If the scan/colour filter setting is adjusted to balance for that light source, the rest will go a bit yellow.

Something like the attached:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8670215541_46a5e89022_b.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Looking at the image, do you see a color problem that says "hey, your blind look at that (insert problem here)... I only see my boy and how cute he is and stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Looks to me like the subject is being illuminated by multiple light sources, and some of the light from above is a bit blue.

Nothing particularly unusual about that.

If the scan/colour filter setting is adjusted to balance for that light source, the rest will go a bit yellow.

Something like the attached:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
    Looking at the image, do you see a color problem that says "hey, your blind look at that (insert problem here)... I only see my boy and how cute he is and stuff like that.
    One of the benefits of having done lots of colour printing is that I see colour casts even when they are slight.

One of the curses of having done lots of colour printing is that I see colour casts even when they are slight.

But cute kids - we can all appreciate them!

I think though that most will prefer a warm colour balance to a cool colour balance when people photographs are involved.

By the way, I wouldn't refer to your original photograph as having a colour problem. It is just dealing with lots of differently coloured light, which required the printer (machine or human) to make some choices.

The film recorded almost everything. The printer emphasized the blue more than the rest.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think though that most will prefer a warm colour balance to a cool colour balance when people photographs are involved.
    Very true. I shoot weddings and engagement sessions and I would rather have the colors be slightly warmer even if they are not "correct." Your photo looks good to me.
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    35mm
    When I first looked at the photo I thought it was slightly cool, when I placed in next to Matt's attachment it looked very cool. Often when printing in colour I find the 'correct' balance can be found by comparing two extremes with each other. I don't mean two photos with heavy casts, rather, a cooler and a warmer version.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been shooting Portra for portraits for many years and the the colour balance and skin tone on this shot are about par for the course.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks to me like the subject is being illuminated by multiple light sources, and some of the light from above is a bit blue...
    Exactly. This is why I don't do color unless completely in control of the lighting. In other words, outdoors I only shoot black and white.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin