Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,439   Online: 1060

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's no shortages of Kodak Portra, but what's clear is you can no longer expect to go to a local photographic shop and buy professional films, neither Kodak nor Fuji, in fact films in general seem to be a problem, if you ask the staff for Velvia all you get is blank looks, they don't know what it is.
    Ben

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    There's no shortages of Kodak Portra, but what's clear is you can no longer expect to go to a local photographic shop and buy professional films, neither Kodak nor Fuji, in fact films in general seem to be a problem, if you ask the staff for Velvia all you get is blank looks, they don't know what it is.
    I've had multiple staffers at multiple stores in the San Diego area be surprisingly knowledgeable and friendly towards film up to 4x5 with literally zero experience like you've mentioned here.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom just yet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I ordered 25 rolls of Portra 400 in 120 from AG Photographic 5 weeks ago. Still not here. Absolutely ridicolous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    I've had multiple staffers at multiple stores in the San Diego area be surprisingly knowledgeable and friendly towards film up to 4x5 with literally zero experience like you've mentioned here.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom just yet.
    From what I read it seems to be better on the west coast.

Just asking for film here gets you looks you've lost your mind or came in looking for a buggy whip. I doubt many of them know what 120 is and none sheet film. Granted, I'm not going to the right stores - but I hit every "camera store" I could find within about 10 miles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    From what I read it seems to be better on the west coast.

Just asking for film here gets you looks you've lost your mind or came in looking for a buggy whip. I doubt many of them know what 120 is and none sheet film. Granted, I'm not going to the right stores - but I hit every "camera store" I could find within about 10 miles.
    I live in large industrial city Roger with a population of more than half a million there is now only one photographic store left besides the shops that just have mini labs, fortunately the last remaining shop is a very good one and a professional dealers run by a father and his two sons who have been in business for more than thirty years and know their unions they are all very nice guys, I just hope they stay open.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I live in large industrial city Roger with a population of more than half a million there is now only one photographic store left besides the shops that just have mini labs, fortunately the last remaining shop is a very good one and a professional dealers run by a father and his two sons who have been in business for more than thirty years and know their unions they are all very nice guys, I just hope they stay open.
    Understand, but I was specifically referring to the US, where our west coast friends seem much more graced by stores (or "shops" ) that carry and understand film.

The Atlanta metro area where I live encompass something like 4 million total people I believe, and something like 800k in the city of Atlanta proper. I've heard of one or two places with film and even darkroom stuff, but one of them I googled, got the address, and putting that address into my GPS lead me to an abandoned part of an industrial complex. Phone calls went completely unanswered. E6-Lab of Atlanta was here and just closed at the first of the year.

Shooter
    35mm
    Same luck here. I cant find anyplace in ATL. There is a small place in Macon I stop by when I go through, "Coke's" on Cherry Street. It's an old school camera store. He has some film and a small selection of dark room supplies as well. I was able to pick up a few rolls of Kodachrome when it was discontinued a long while back. I think his selection of film is dwindling though, the film shelves look emptier every time I stop by. I hate to see these old places dying...........

Edit: I just found a facebook page for his store....
    https://www.facebook.com/CokesCamera

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Understand, but I was specifically referring to the US, where our west coast friends seem much more graced by stores (or "shops" ) that carry and understand film.

The Atlanta metro area where I live encompass something like 4 million total people I believe, and something like 800k in the city of Atlanta proper. I've heard of one or two places with film and even darkroom stuff, but one of them I googled, got the address, and putting that address into my GPS lead me to an abandoned part of an industrial complex. Phone calls went completely unanswered. E6-Lab of Atlanta was here and just closed at the first of the year.

Shooter
    35mm
    Portra 160 in back in stock at B&H , arrived today. I already took a couple of 5 pack boxes myself.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin