Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,733   Online: 807

Shooter
    35mm

Color film for capture the sea?

I live in a sea side city and already saw very seas states, sunsets, sea landscapes, etc, from my window and the beach.
    Today the weather was overcast and cleared a bit during the afternoon and during the final hours of the day, the sea landscape was very beautifull with the sea being like mercury/silver in "appearence/maybe color" with very small waves and no foam.
    What kind a color film could use to try to capture this kind of colour?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kodachrome
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing about sunsets is that the colors are so varied and subjective that 100% true-to-life capture isn't really necessary.
    Colors should be nice and rich but they don't have to be perfect. In fact, sometimes, there is such a thing as "too perfect."
    Sunsets are often more concerned with mood and composition than accurate color rendition.

Any good color film should be able to do that for you.

I live on the shore of Lake Erie. I see a lot of sunsets. You can see, literally, every color of the rainbow.
    Have yet to capture a green flash. Have never even come close to capturing one on film. You've probably got a better chance of winning the lottery.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Are you looking for most accurate? Could try Kodak Portra 160. Are you looking for most pleasing? Quite possibly Fuji Velvia or Provia - I have some sunset shots from Alaska that are pretty awesome looking with those. ;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you Worker 11811 and jedidiah Smith! With was a sunset with out sun, only clouds/cloudy day with a few openings. Will try Portra 160, it is cheaper here than the fuji slide films!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rhodes, you're supposed to use a bucket to capture the sea!

Since the sea's color is reflecting the clouds to be mercury/silver, what you really need is something to offset that, i.e., a burst of color from something else. Look for flowers or seaweed or just something colorful to contrast with the sea. Maybe petals on the water.

Shooter
    35mm
    I going to need a bigger bucket!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Rhodes, I think of all the films you could get relatively easy, the Kodak Portra 160 will be the most accurate as far as what you remember seeing. However, if you like color neg film, please try a roll of Kodak Ektar 100 for comparison. If you are including the sunset with the sea, most of all the reds will be rendered differently, but it will give more saturation to the colors, similar (but not as extreme) to slide film. That way you can see a more neutral version (Portra160) and a boosted version (Ektar). I think you will be quite pleased. ;-)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin