Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,264   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Left Portra 400 film in the car today in 84 degree weather, how bad was that?

It got unusually warm today and I forgot about the film in the bag and in the camera.

How bad was this?

Thanks.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Is it otherwise fresh?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    Is it otherwise fresh?
    Its expiry date is 04/2014

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do not worry about it. It was a one time event. Film is more stable than that.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd worry if it was an overnight low of 94 F. But a daytime high of 84? Nothing to worry about. Several weeks of that? Yes, I'd start worrying. But not one afternoon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once oversaw some "heat aging" tests on Portra's immediate predecessor, VPSIII. Basically, the film spent time in a "hot box" at 140 deg F, then was tested at various intervals by exposing a sensi wedge, which was processed and evaluated.

As I recall, the VPSIII showed no changes at all, until somewhere around 300-400 hours, at which time it started going downhill at a steady rate. This behaviour was nothing like you would expect based on Internet lore.

My guess is that Portra film would have similar (or better) characteristics, such that 10 hours or so, possibly reaching 100 or 110 deg F in your trunk would have a negligible effect on the film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Film's tough, man.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone, you have been totally awesome!

Shooter
    35mm
    Rcently processed the film from a Kodak disposable camera (400ASA) which had been in the bottom of a car luggage compartment for about 2 years in all temperatures. The first half of the film (shot about 10 years ago!) was poor, the second half, shot last autumn was as good as fresh film! (And the process by date was Sept 2005!)

Shooter
    35mm
    I left some Kodak BW400CN in my glove box for a couple years, this was in Utah where it gets over 100F. It came out okay except it had some pastel pink and green splotches when printed on color paper. It was actually kind of pretty. Didn't notice an effective loss in speed or a change in contrast, but then I don't really shoot that stuff very often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin