Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,335   Online: 937

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Some posters here are making remarks that clearly demonstrate they have no specific skill in targeting Velvia to its use, if they use it at all. It's obvious.
    Ouch, man. I have to admit my early tinkerings with Velvia were misguided (I blame Mr. Rockwell). But I would submit that it is possible to get good shots in bright daylight with Velvia. Probably boils down to personal preference, and the purpose for the photographs in the first place. You certainly wouldn't want to use Velvia in a fundus camera, for example.

Not to jack the thread. In fact, I've decided to give Provia another try while I still can!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Provia is a medium ground E6 film IMHO, which means it's mighty usable film overall, it covers some 80% of my E6 needs. I shoot E6 to get those special colours. Velvia sometimes is overkill or too narrow-purosed and E100Gs were too subdued to "punch you into the face" after scanning for the lack of better wording - unless I want a very low grain and very limited DR I'd rather shoot Portra.

Punta del Diablo sunset by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

Puente de la Mujer by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

La Boca colours by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

Provia 400X is entire different matter though - I think it's the best film for recording blues, beats even Velvia 50 (that makes blues with purple cast):

European Southern Observatory (ESO) by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

Valparaíso by tsiklonaut, on Flickr

Cheers,
    Margus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I rarely want color to punch anyone in the face. Matter of taste I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Definitely it's about taste, but nothing gives me more goosebumps than inspecting those well exposed vivid chromes on the light table - that's why I shoot slides and willing to pay the premium on them - slide shooting isn't cheap anyore. For those humble "controlled colours" I much rather shoot C41 negs: forgiving, easier, cheaper, vastly better DR and much better skin tones. A taste thing indeed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice tsiklonaut, I always like your works.
    The more I use this film, the more I like it.

Unknown Flower của Kyon Thinh, trên Flickr

I also tested one roll of older emulsion, the RDP II Provia 100, color seems fine.

The Dandelion Girl. của Kyon Thinh, trên Flickr

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin