Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,955   Online: 1094

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Why would one polish and re-coat a lens as stated in that video?
    I mean, at such a place any lens under threat of frontal damage would be covered; the same for atmospherical damage.
    It's probably mainly a PR video, where the narration isn't necessarily accurate. It would seem to make more sense to just replace the front element, if necessary.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Why would one polish and re-coat a lens as stated in that video?
    I mean, at such a place any lens under threat of frontal damage would be covered; the same for atmospherical damage.
    Stumbled upon this thread again...

I think it's quite sensible. When you have people who can do the work... Just a standard CLA for this team.

It must be reasonably "inexpensive" to polish and recoat a lens. I took a vintage lens to a place in Pasadena, close enough to be the place JPL would have used for the purpose. They charged me less than I paid for the lens to do the work. In the end, I probably have a better lens than if I had picked out one in mint condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin