Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,477   Online: 884

Shooter
    Multi Format

MF slide mount service ** UK ** ?

I've just attended a 50th birthday party, where I shot a roll of Velvia in MF (645)

I'd like to have the roll developed and mounted (as a late present for the birthdayee), but while it seems to be straightforward to get 35mm mounted, the "usual suspects" (Ag, Peak, DSC, etc) don't seem to offer mounting for MF on their websites.

Before I sit down and spend an hour ringing round to ask them personally, I wondered if anyone knows of a (UK) service that will develop and mount MF slide film?

Failing that, GEPE mounts are readily available and I'm sure it's not rocket surgery to cut the roll up and mount the frames myself ...

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently had a trawl on the internet of processing services in the UK and can't recall any who offer a process and mount service for 120 - only develop and sleeve. I think your best bet might be to buy a mounting press and some mounts and do it yourself. If anyone else knows someone who does offer mounting, I'll stand corrected. At least if you do it yourself you can make sure they are mounted square and you only need to mount the frames you want to.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did look at presses but it would just be overkill to pay that much (£50-£70 and up) for a one-off like this. I already have quite enough stuff I'll only ever have used once ...
    Must be possible to do it "by hand" surely?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are manual presses popping off ebay every now and then for cheap, brand new ones are about £50, but if you won't do it more than once I'd ask in silverprint, ag-photographic, or any pro lab which has been around for a while and may have the equipment. They don't offer the service, as it's time consuming labor, but being as one-time thing you may be lucky.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a GEPE mounting accessory about 3 years ago for about $45 USD. It was new/old stock at Glazers. It certainly makes it easier, but it isn't strictly necessary.

As a matter of coincidence, I am in the midst of mounting about 20 or so slides. It is finicky!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can manage finicky in short bursts!

The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to get the roll developed only, and then see what the transparencies look like before doing anything else.
    I've rarely shot slide film, and the lighting was tricky a lot of the time on this occasion, so there's every chance only a very few will be good enough for a gift.

If I can anyway track down a UK lab who'll do this, I'll report back

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin