Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,845   Posts: 1,582,687   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Slide film recommendations

Well I'm beginning to play with color film.

I had a bunch in my fridge but I hardly touch them but I decided to give them a try last weekend:

Fuji Provia 100f in 120 (underexposed 1 - 1/2 stops)

Untitled by Michael_Sergio_Barnes, on Flickr

Fuji Velvia 50 in 120

color14017 by Michael_Sergio_Barnes, on Flickr

Fuji Provia 100f in 35mm

color34059 by Michael_Sergio_Barnes, on Flickr

Now I quite like the colors that I am getting and my favorite is in the first one (Provia underexposed).

So I might want to try some more slide film (not many choices) and get more familiar with the properties. The first shot was an accident--I was trying to get better shutter speeds and so I erred on the side of underexposure. I'm guessing it was one stop at most but I don't meter too meticulously.

1. Is this color shift (it seems more blue) a unique property of Provia? I didn't get this look at all with underexposed velvia and my properly exposed Provia looks more similar to Velvia.

2. Well I'd probably keep 100f Provia standard but I might experiment around a bit so i'm curious, what would I expect out of Provia 400 and Velvia 100? Does Provia 400 provide just as beautiful colors but with less grain? I have observed that slower emulsions in b&w seem to be higher contrast so would I expect Provia 400 to be less rich in color than Provia 100? Likewise, what is the need for Velvia 100? Is it more saturated than Provia but less saturated than Velvia 50?
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    35mm
    *more grain. Faster emulsions have more grain.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Provia here does look quite cool; E6 films can display this in specific light conditions e.g. outdoors in shade with bright sun; you may benefit from adding filtration like a light warming filter (81B), which will also impart a bit more warmth into the flesh tones. Outdoors in bright to diffuse light, Provia is quite a natural looking film, but will show its E6 pedigree in conditions of mixed light.

Velvia's ruddiness is quite offputting for portraiture, but it's an individual thing; nothing stopping people from introducing an element of Vaudeville. It's not showing any detail in darker areas as well as Provia — this is one of the bigger differences between the two films: Provia is very agreeable to exposure in a much greater range of conditions than Velvia with it's narrow latitude and poor rendition of detail in as much as —0.3 to —0.6 stop underexposure. You may wish to experiment with a warming filter for these portraiture involving mixed light, or ambient with artificial light.

I must ask as a matter of cautionary interest: what have you been doing at the scanning step of the transparencies?
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 05-05-2013 at 11:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Provia 100F is my standard color film. I can't really speak to the others, except that the small amount of Provia 400 I've shot seemed generally similar, but a little warmer-balanced and of course with more grain. (E.g., https://www.flickr.com/photos/ntenny/5109364992/, though obviously it's hard to judge color balance from one uncontrolled image.)

I assume the underexposed shot is pretty dense-looking to the eye and you compensated in digital after scanning, right? I find the results are a little unpredictable in that process, depending I suppose on the lighting---in sunlight it often skews magenta rather than blue, in my experience.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to shoot Kodachrome at 1/3 underexposure. E.g., K64 at ISO 80. It gave improved saturation and the slight boost in shutter speed was often helpful.

I've always shot E6 at box speed, though, and been happy with the results. These days I shoot mostly Provia and Velvia, probably a 2:1 ratio between the two. I was pleasantly surprised to see the results you've gotten from underexposing your Provia, however. Good detail in the shadow areas still, for the most part. And the softer color saturation I find quite appealing in your first photo.

I'm not sure I understand your exposure rating, however. Did you really underexpose it by 1-1/2 stops? That's an awful lot. I could see maybe 1/2 stop. So what was the ISO rating you used?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Provia 400X and Velvia 100 are my favorite slide films, together with Astia which is now discontinued. Yes, Provia 400X is more grainy than the others but it is still a very fine grained 400 ISO slide film (the finest of all!). Its color reproduction is very accurate still the slides have a punchy and crispy look to them. Contrast is not overly problematic. This film is very suitable for pushing. I pushed it to ISO 800 with very good results, though it became a bit more contrasty then. I have also seen pictures made with ISO 1250 or 1600 and they were fine, though somewhat dull and grainy. At ISO 800 it was hardly discernible from ISO 400.

Velvia 100 is my main film for landscapes. Great punchy colors and sharpness, very fine grain. Colors look accurate to me, but they are enhanced. From what I´ve read this film does not alter skin tones as extremely as Velvia 50, which often gave a sunburnt look, but I have never shot Velvia 50 myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    *more grain. Faster emulsions have more grain.
    Sorry, more grain! That is what I meant.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post

I must ask as a matter of cautionary interest: what have you been doing at the scanning step of the transparencies?
    I used epson scan and scanned the film as positives. The slides look similar to what I have posted. The actual underexposed slides are dense but I didn't really mess with the color saturation or tempertures very much. I just tweaked the levels to remove a bit of the cast. Oh and I just noticed that you wrote mixed light in your reply. To clarify, this is all natural window light.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    I used to shoot Kodachrome at 1/3 underexposure. E.g., K64 at ISO 80. It gave improved saturation and the slight boost in shutter speed was often helpful.

I've always shot E6 at box speed, though, and been happy with the results. These days I shoot mostly Provia and Velvia, probably a 2:1 ratio between the two. I was pleasantly surprised to see the results you've gotten from underexposing your Provia, however. Good detail in the shadow areas still, for the most part. And the softer color saturation I find quite appealing in your first photo.

I'm not sure I understand your exposure rating, however. Did you really underexpose it by 1-1/2 stops? That's an awful lot. I could see maybe 1/2 stop. So what was the ISO rating you used?
    I think I was quite lucky as I got just the right amount of shadow detail to make me happy. With the slides that I have shot, they either look properly exposed or completely off and so I think that you might be right in your assessment that my exposure is actuully 1/2 stop and not 1 stop off. I just finished a roll of b&w and used the same settings without remetering. When I metered after finishing my first roll of Provia, I needed another stop (I only look at whole stops).
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    To clarify, this is all natural window light.
    Window light is very bluish because most of it comes from the sky. Provia (like most color films) is balanced for direct sunlight. Toss a warming or skylight filter on and you should see more natural results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin