Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,673   Online: 897

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Was given some expired film, thoughts?

So I was given some old equipment, and in the box I found some Kodak Vericolor II (1994) and Provia 100 (1996). These have not been stored in a freezer or anything.

What I am curious about is would it be worth the E6 processing costs to shoot these films? I was thinking I'd get some interesting shots with the pinhole, but what ISO?

Thanks in advance!

K
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They _might_ work, but why take the chance?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been shooting some Provia 100 of similar vintage, at box speed, and the results are quite good except for a significant magenta shift. It's not a big deal to correct in digital post, though it would make projection sort of weird.

On the other hand, I once had a roll of an old consumer slide film (I don't remember exactly which flavor; I think it was an older Fuji brand, and it was probably about 10-12 years out of date in a non-climate-controlled house) come back with essentially no images at all, just a uniformly faint-green strip of film.

I'd say it's worth a try, but I wouldn't bet the farm on the results or anything.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used some older (similar vintage) E6 in my Holga and other cheap cameras and then had them cross-processed. They worked fine for that (especially since I didn't have high expectations).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't really have any expectations, but wasnt certain if either has good keeping characteristics. I've experienced dated Velvia before, and that shifted nearly before the date on the box (go figure). Since 4x5 projection isn't in the bag, it would be for digi-workflow afterwards (blasphemy!). My GF has never seen 4x5 slides before, so that should fun.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Vericolour II is negative film - C41 process.

So I definitely wouldn't pay to have someone else (cross) process it in E6.

I shot a few weddings on Vericolour II - when fresh it was great for that.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SHOOT!

If it works, it works. If not, oh well. Have fun, and don't get too hung up on the results. I've shot old Vericolor and rated it a stop slower than box, but the negatives came out very dense so I might not have needed to! I've never shot expired slide film, but I imagine that rating it is a little trickier.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've been given old color film like that before. It's worthless. Life is too short to waste time on such a bad bet as that. B&W, maybe, that old, but color? Nahhh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    So I was given some old equipment, and in the box I found some Kodak Vericolor II (1994) and Provia 100 (1996). These have not been stored in a freezer or anything.

What I am curious about is would it be worth the E6 processing costs to shoot these films? I was thinking I'd get some interesting shots with the pinhole, but what ISO?

Thanks in advance!

K

Stuff convention. Have fun and put it in your pinhole and go feral. I wouldn't particularly be fond of using long-expired Provia 100, especially for landscapes given that this film can cast quite easily, in and out of expiry, chiefly a pinkish hue but also paleness in blue and loss of contrast. I'd be happy exposing 30 year old film in my pinhole just for the effect. You're not after perfection with those sort of cameras, remember.

BTW, Vericolour was a print film; unless you fancy cross-dressing, you might be up for even weirder results dunking it in E6. As I said, stuff convention and have a bit of fun, just like Instagram and other pardodies. Besides which, you're going to learn something about what happens to long-expired film when you actually expose it in conditions of your choice.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see two options:
    1 - Shoot a roll of each to test them, maybe even split 1 roll into a separate blank canister and test a half a roll of each. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, you've lost what, $10 and a few hours? (then you can still do option 2 with the leftovers).
    2 - Don't bother with it, just flog it off on fleabay with 'Lomo' and 'Expired' and 'Great for Cross Processing' written all over it, and then go buy some fresh rolls with the proceeds...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin