Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,821   Online: 1076
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    428

    Fujifilm c200 and Kodak Portra 160... (35mm)

    Just ordered a dozen of c200 rolls, and a 5-pack of Kodak Portra 160, now when the sun finally comes!

    My questions now are:

    What can I actually shoot these rolls in?

    And if I "bend" them, do they need push/pull in dev. ?

    Last edited by Felinik; 05-06-2013 at 10:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

    "The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

  2. #2
    cooltouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    340
    I've never used the Fuji C200, so I can't speak for it. But I will typically shoot my Portra 160 at ISO 100. Some folks prefer 125, but it can easily handle 100 just fine. I find that it provides better color saturation and possibly even an improvement in grain. I love the stuff. I've yet to shoot any 35mm Portra 160, though. So far, just 120. As for developing, I would say just to develop them normally. I haven't developed my own, but I've never given my pro lab push/pull instructions.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,062
    The C200 is slightly more grainy than the Superia 200. C-41 films don't really push or pull very well, you just get denser or lighter negatives.

    I'd recommend you shoot it in a Nikon F2 Photomic. Just because I like saying Photomic. Or, err, writing it. Actually, writing it isn't as much fun as saying it, so use it in whatever camera you wish.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

  4. #4
    cooltouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I'd recommend you shoot it in a Nikon F2 Photomic. Just because I like saying Photomic. Or, err, writing it. Actually, writing it isn't as much fun as saying it, so use it in whatever camera you wish.
    Good choice, but the Nikon F with Photomic FTN Finder is a good one as well.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Felinik View Post
    Just ordered a dozen of c200 rolls, and a 5-pack of Kodak Portra 160, now when the sun finally comes!

    My questions now are:

    What can I actually shoot these rolls in?

    And if I "bend" them, do they need push/pull in dev. ?

    Although this may seem to be a strange and unconventional choice, I'd try using a camera.

    Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    428
    Okay, as it is tiresome to load up this thread to find out that it's just funny replies, I apparently have to write this post! (I speak 6 languages, and English is not my mother tongue, thanks!).


    For the rest of ya, I'd be interested in hearing experiences in using these films and if there's some advice on what alternative ISO ranges to shoot these films IN.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

    "The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

  7. #7
    polyglot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,324
    Images
    12
    Anywhere from box speed to a stop slower. Process normally.

    If you want pastel colours, shoot about 3 or 4 stops slower, process normally.

  8. #8
    cooltouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Felinik View Post
    Okay, as it is tiresome to load up this thread to find out that it's just funny replies, I apparently have to write this post! (I speak 6 languages, and English is not my mother tongue, thanks!).


    For the rest of ya, I'd be interested in hearing experiences in using these films and if there's some advice on what alternative ISO ranges to shoot these films IN.
    Prepositions are often problematic in English. Even we native speakers often have trouble with them. Anyway -- I don't see much point in repeating myself, because my answer will not change. But let me just say this. I've always felt that Kodak chose a rather odd ISO (or ASA back in the old days) speed of 160 so that it could be bumped down to a nice round figure of 100 and would be easy for folks to remember -- folks who wanted to shoot at non-box speed, that is. Maybe that wasn't Kodak's original design, but that's what it ended up being -- for me, at least. BTW, after discovering how well 160 worked at 100, I began trying that with a variety of C41 films and found that it worked just as well with any that I tried. All of a sudden the grain was smoother and the colors really popped. I seldom shoot C41 at box speed anymore.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Anywhere from box speed to a stop slower. Process normally.

    If you want pastel colours, shoot about 3 or 4 stops slower, process normally.
    I also tend to shoot at about half to two-thirds box speed with most C-41, e.g. 160 box speed at 100, and 200 box speed at 125. I've always found, IMHO, that C-41 dislikes under-exposure but will stand quite a bit over.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    428
    Thanks for all thoughts and experiences here!

    Then it's in line with my experiences with Superia 200, that I shoot in 160, and 400 in 320, so I'll most likely shoot c200 in 160 and the Portra in 125 or 100 depending on light conditions then, and just develop normally.

    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

    "The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin