Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,967   Online: 740

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

C-41 -- When to add starter?

I recently bought the Kodak C-41 Flexicolor LORR developer, parts A, B and C to make 5 liters of replenisher. I also bought the starter. I plan to mix everything at once, decant to 300ml and 500ml bottles, and use the developer one-shot. I develop one or two rolls at a time in my small Paterson tank.

My question: Is there any harm in adding the starter initially -- or should I wait and add the starter at the time I plan to develop the film?

Thank you.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't see any problem with this, as Starter+Replenisher will make the Standard Developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Add the starter now, before you decant. As AgX said, starter + A + B + C = developer.
    However, you don't have to mix the entire 5L at once. You only have to mix up enough of each component to make the volume you need, reuse it until it is exhausted, and then mix up another batch. The concentrates have an indefinite shelf life compared to the mixed chemicals.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Like Terry said, mix up just what you need. The mixed developer will only last a few weeks, like 2 or 3, although sometimes you can get away with more. Use the Kodak CIS-49 document for the mixing instructions, although dividing by 5 amounts to the same thing.

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/r/_y...is49/cis49.pdf

And, no need to use one shot. You should really be able to get 10 to 12 rolls (35mm 36 exp) per liter with no problems and many push it farther than that.

BVY, did you get the standard LORR 5-liter package or the one they call LU? Kodak says the LU is supposed to last longer. I have the LU package right now and I have not seen any difference, although these chemicals are intended for a machine, not sitting around in bottles.

--Jason
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    The concentrates have an indefinite shelf life compared to the mixed chemicals.
    My experience is that the concentrates go bad relatively fast after opening, especially part C, whereas the mixed chemistry, stored in glass bottles filled to the top, can last several years.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My answer was related to adding a starter to a replenisher in general to make a new concentrate.

But as in this case the replenisher concentrate itself comes in three parts (what I overlooked), I would make the working solution from the seperate parts just when needed and not a stock solution of all four parts on forehand.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    My experience is that the concentrates go bad relatively fast after opening, especially part C, whereas the mixed chemistry, stored in glass bottles filled to the top, can last several years.
    This is consistent with what I've been reading, though opinion seems to be split on the matter. I don't see that tiny bottle of Part C holding up to repeated use over several months. And I don't have the means to add a gas to displace the oxygen.

Jason, I purchased the LORR kit from Unique Photo. I'm unfamiliar with the LU kit, but I'll have to see what it's about. As far as using one shot, I'll probably reclaim the working solution and use for things like expired film and cross processing. But for critical stuff, I'm trying to get to a more consistent workflow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should easily get 10 rolls per liter that you can count on being consistent. Past 12 or so is when I would run expired, cross-process, or chromogenic film, where color consistency is less or not important.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more question: To prepare a working solution, the docs say to start with water, add starter, then add replenisher. But I'll have just prepared five liters of replenisher. (I only have one "clean" bucket.) Is there any harm, starting with the replenisher, and then adding the water and starter? In other words, how critical is the order of these steps?

(By the way, because someone asked, I do have the Developer LU/Replenisher LORR package.)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin