Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,227   Online: 903

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MamiyaJen View Post
    The film wasn't torn open, the foil was.

Oh and shipping came free.
    You could offer to refund the shipping.

But seriously, consider your reputation. It's more important than money. Especially small amounts of money.

I personally wouldn't have complained about it, I'd use the film. But like I said, if any of my stock of film were unsealed, I would worry about how good it is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    You could offer to refund the shipping.

But seriously, consider your reputation. It's more important than money. Especially small amounts of money.

I personally wouldn't have complained about it, I'd use the film. But like I said, if any of my stock of film were unsealed, I would worry about how good it is.
    I've sent him a message. Told him that if he'd like a refund then he can send me the film back in the same condition I sent it to him. He's yet to reply so we'll see. Like i said, I'm confident the film is absolutely fine. It was only a week previous that I sold 6 other films, 2 of which were not in the foil wrapper with no complaints. And I could see his point almost if we were talking about a massive tear, but it wasn't torn more than a couple of mm.

Anyway, we'll see what he thinks to my offer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    Obviously, you want to stiff the dude and take your lumps. So go ahead. You SHOULD have disclosed. It is simple as that.
    Yes, that's precisely what I want to do. How clever of you to know exactly what I'm thinking. Have you thought of making money from your extraordinary gift?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...Anyway, we'll see what he thinks to my offer.
    I can't wait to hear what happens. If I were you I would have listened to Bill (his first posting) and sent immediately the 50% refund with an apology for not better photographing the film's packaging. Look at the photo with an open mind -- one side of each is not clearly shown, and some might interpret that as knowingly not disclosing hte "defect". But if I were your buyer I'd write it off and give you neutral (what would be fair) or negative (if I were really upset) feedback. I know wht you are thinking: the open packaging might not be a problem, but I know waht the buyer is thinking: I'm not sure and I'll only find out when/ir my photos fail because of it.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 05-11-2013 at 02:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I can't wait to hear what happens. If I were you I would have listened to Bill (his first posting). If I were your buyer I'd write it off and give you neutral (what would be fair) or negative (if I were really upset) feedback. I know wht you are thinking: the open packaging might not be a problem, but I know waht the buyer is thinking: I'm not sure and I'll only find out when/ir my photos fail because of it.
    To be fair, I did make it clear that the film was expired and listed it under 'used' condition. Anyway, I don't think he'll get back to me today. There was a couple of days between his first and second messages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you are making too much out of it. It is only 5 pounds for the one roll of film. Is 5 pounds so dear that so much of a fuss needs to be raised? Just asking...

The risk (whether you are right or wrong about the film being OK) is being full transferred by you to the buyer; what's so fair about that?

I don't understand why you don't want to act like a responsible seller.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 05-11-2013 at 02:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you are making too much out of it. It is only 5 pounds for the one roll of film. Is 5 pounds so dear that so much of a fuss needs to be raised? Just asking...

The risk (whether you are right or wrong about the film being OK) is being full transferred to the buyer; what's so fair about that?

I don't understand why you don't want to act like a responsible seller.
    Because the buyer is being unnecessarily arsey about it after I explained why I didn't mention the tear. I came on here asking a genuine question as to whether or not the foil wrapper being torn would in any way effect the performance of the film and I'm getting hassle over my ethics as a seller (which I do on ebay about once in a blue moon, btw).

No, £5/10 is not a massive amount of money but I got the feeling the buyer was either nit picking or, in the case of so many other ebayers, had spotted the tear and saw an opportunity to mess me about.

I've admitted to him I should have mentioned the tear but explained why I didn't. I wasn't trying to mess him about, I wasn't trying to stiff him. It's £10 for pities sake, but if someone tries messing me about I'm not going to take it lightly. I've messaged him offering him a refund if he wishes to send me the film back (I'd have to be a complete idiot to offer a refund with no goods in return, £10 or not). How am I possibly 'making too much out of it'? All i wanted to know was if the wrapper being torn would damage the film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The film wasn't torn open, the foil was.

Oh and shipping came free.
    FWIW, based on what you have described, a full refund upon return of the goods seems fair. Any deviation from your description on the auction can lead to problems. Certainly, some buyers won't care if there is a slight deviation, but many will and if you were in their shoes, you might too. Seems like a "karma" thing as much as anything else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because the buyer is being unnecessarily arsey about it ...

but if someone tries messing me about I'm not going to take it lightly. ...
    I need to bite my tongue at this point. Sorry you're not getting the "love" you are looking for. I'm speaking from the perspective of an experienced photographer and an experience buyer of old film and camera accessories, and an occasional seller who has run into "problem buyers" before too. Good luck to you!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I need to bite my tongue at this point. Sorry you're not getting the "love" you are looking for. I'm speaking from the perspective of an experienced photographer and an experience buyer of old film and camera accessories. Good luck to you!
    I'm not looking for 'love', I was looking for a straight answer, not a lecture on ebay etiquette.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin