Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,726   Online: 1082

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

220 Film/Foil Wrapper

Hello all,

I recently got round to selling on ebay some 220 film that I had sitting in my freezer (inside a plastic bag) doing nothing. On one of the rolls, the foil wrapping had a slight tear where you open it. I admit I failed to mention this as, to my knowledge, this would in no way effect the performance of the film. Besides which there was no damage to the actual film.

Here's the listing, for what it's worth: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2811008174...84.m1561.l2649

This film was part of a load of rolls that a photographer friend sold me, amongst which were a couple of rolls of 120 in no foil wrapping. Having used those rolls, I can safely say I never had a problem.

Also worth noting, I recently sold 6 other rolls of 220, two of which had no foil wrapping (which you could see in the picture).

Anyway, I'm now getting hassle off the buyer who says that because of the tear the film has been exposed to the elements and is thus unsafe to use. My question is, if he opens a dispute with ebay and tries to get his money back (which is where I can see it heading), will I have a leg to stand on? It's only £10 but still, I think he's being pedantic and I wanted to know from fellow photogs if I'm right or not with regards to the wrapping.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd refund the buyer - your reputation is worth more than ten pounds. If the buyer is stand-up, he would insist you only refund half.

Sure it's probably fine. But I would be devastated to find my stock of Panatomic-X weren't perfectly sealed and atmosphere was/could be getting in (moisture in the freezer specifically). So I understand the buyer's concern.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd say give him his money back. I wouldn't want it either. Too many potential condensation problems. Would YOU want it? Not worth having your rating blistered.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Force him to return the film first at his expense. If it comes back opened or other than as sent, you have a case for a partial refund. But you won't win with Ebay.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I'd refund the buyer - your reputation is worth more than ten pounds. If the buyer is stand-up, he would insist you only refund half.

Sure it's probably fine. But I would be devastated to find my stock of Panatomic-X weren't perfectly sealed and atmosphere was/could be getting in (moisture in the freezer specifically). So I understand the buyer's concern.
    Why would the buyer have to seek only a half refund to be stand-up? Just asking...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not willing to give him his money back outright without him asking. If he asks, I'll advise him to send the film back in the condition he found it in and only then will I refund the money.

What happens if he sends it back and one or both films are out of the wrapper?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnabbott View Post
    Why would the buyer have to seek only a half refund to be stand-up? Just asking...
    Only one of the two rolls in the auction had broken seal.

Can't do too much about refunding shipping cost either... was shipped for free...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would advise you to refund the money.

Your listing says the film had been "stored correctly".

An opening in the foil is arguably not "stored correctly".

For ten pounds, it isn't worth the hassle or risk to your feedback score.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just looked it up. Fifteen bucks. Just not worth it, either way. But that 15 dollars can sure tear your EBAY rating up for a long time. Some day you're liable to want to sell a nice Hasselblad or something, and the auction will end at 400 dollars instead of 850, just because people saw that 94% (or whatever) rating of yours and not bid. No way, Ray. I'd give him his money and shipping in a heartbeat, and learn a lesson about selling questionable stuff like that. I'm not harping on you, but torn-open film? What were you thinking?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I just looked it up. Fifteen bucks. Just not worth it, either way. But that 15 dollars can sure tear your EBAY rating up for a long time. Some day you're liable to want to sell a nice Hasselblad or something, and the auction will end at 400 dollars instead of 850, just because people saw that 94% (or whatever) rating of yours and not bid. No way, Ray. I'd give him his money and shipping in a heartbeat, and learn a lesson about selling questionable stuff like that. I'm not harping on you, but torn-open film? What were you thinking?
    The film wasn't torn open, the foil was.

Oh and shipping came free.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin