Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,580   Posts: 1,545,760   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ordered Kodak Gold 100, got Profoto XL 100 (?!)

Apparently Kodak Gold 100 has been discontinued. Neither B&H nor Adorama has it in stock. Unique Photo showed it as in stock, so I ordered five rolls. And I got something called Kodak Profoto XL 100 instead. It's interesting that it says "Kodak Professional" on the package, which would place it in the same category as Portra and Ektar -- yet it sells at consumer film prices. Anyway, I've read many conflicting and wide ranging things about this film -- that it's marketed to "poor" countries, that it stands up to heat, that it's just Kodak Gold 100 rebranded, that it's very different from Kodak Gold (better and worse)...

My initial instinct was to return it, or complain that I didn't get what I ordered. But then I thought, what the hell. So I plowed a roll through my XA2, though it will be several weeks till I'm developing C-41 again.

Anyone have any thoughts, facts or experiences about this film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have any experience with this film ... but I do wonder if it's a sign of what's to come with Kodak film since they sold the film business.

In any circumstance, it's bad business to send someone something other than what they ordered. I had this happen with a filter once at B&H. They didn't have the one I ordered in stock so they gave me a refund and told me to keep the wrong one, too.

Might be worth making a phone call.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kodak sold it's film business? When?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Kodak sold it's film business? When?
    A couple of weeks ago. Where you been? There's hundreds of posts on this topic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't shot it, but I've processed and printed it. Not sure if it's Gold with a different label, though. I printed wedding photos from a Las Vegas photographer and wedding photos from somewhere in the Caribbean. They were both pleasantly saturated and sharp. I think you'll be happy with it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    A couple of weeks ago. Where you been? There's hundreds of posts on this topic.
    Oh... that explains that really dark day we had a couple weeks ago. I passed it off as part of all the wet weather we've had the last several weeks.
    Actually mostly on my back with prostatitis. That miserable little organ can make you SO sick.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 05-11-2013 at 11:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe it is Kodak Gold, just in different packaging. Excellent film, by the way. I like it very much. Almost grainless and with very true color.

Shooter
    35mm
    I liked Kodak Gold very much. It has always been the film to grab when I needed to cut back on film expenses. But I can't say I like the ProFoto very much even though the price of it is actually even cheaper than the Gold. The ProFoto is a good film, I believe most people prefer the ProFoto to the Gold, but it lacks something I liked about the Gold.

Luno

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a long thread on flickr about this film http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootf...7628870074419/. Generally people seem to like it, although like anything some are not so keen.

It seems to be very similar to gold 100 but has been treated to allow room temperature storage even in hot climates. Printing characteristics are the same as gold 100.

The only consumer films Kodak still lists are gold 200 and ultramax 400 although I've never found good info on colorplus/kodacolor which I think is still being made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You really need to test it and see if you like it. Adorama substituted "ColorPlus 200" when I bought Gold 200 from them... stating that it was the same stuff. Not true. The ColorPlus had a muted color palatte more like what we once got in Kodacolor film back in the 1980's. I didn't like the film and I didn't like the experience of buying "gold" and getting something else. If it really wre the same I'd have no problem, but it wasn't. Test a roll and decide for yourself if you like it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin